Blue screen when scanning network with additional parameters

Started by IT Guy

I've experienced twice now, on two different computers with Windows 7 x64 Professional (one was a Lenovo ThinkCentre, and another an HP Elite Desk 800) blue screen crashing whenever I try to scan a network with additional parameters like "logged on user" and WMI queries. I never had this problem on my previous workstation that ran Windows XP Professional x32. I'm currently using the HP Elite Desk 800, and I've updated the BIOS, and latest network card drivers, and I still get blue screen.

I've called support, and they say it's not their program, but my problem - and were "zero" help to be honest. I haven't found one post about blue screens on this forum, and wondered if anyone experienced this, and knows how to make this work? It's a great tool, and wish it would work the way it did...
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Blue screen when scanning network with additional parameters   22 May 2014, 10:33

Unfortunately that's not really a network scanner's fault. It sounds like a an issue in a network driver or protocol driver, quite possibly in antivirus or third-party firewall if you have one.

The network scanner software does generate a fair amount of network traffic which may cause a driver to fail to cope with it. A user mode application like the network scanner by no means can itself cause a blue screen.

If you could obtain a kernel crash dump, that might shed some light on what driver is responsible.
IT Guy

Re: Blue Screen when scanning network   22 May 2014, 12:08

Where do you want me to send the dumps to?

Re: Blue Screen when scanning network   22 May 2014, 12:18

Just upload it somewhere and post a link here. It has to be a kernel-memory dump (memory.dmp) and not a minidump.
IT Guy

Re: Blue Screen when scanning network   24 May 2014, 08:01

Here they are

http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/533726/Dumps-zip.html

Thanks for taking a look

Re: Blue Screen when scanning network   24 May 2014, 14:22

These dumps indicate the crash has been caused by mrxsmb10.sys. Here's a snippet from the crash dump analysis

RDR_FILE_SYSTEM (27)
SYMBOL_NAME:  mrxsmb10+6bb1
FOLLOWUP_NAME:  MachineOwner
MODULE_NAME: mrxsmb10
IMAGE_NAME:  mrxsmb10.sys

One of these may be a relevant hotfix from Microsoft:

0x00000027 Stop error when you try to access a shared network resource in Windows Server 2008 R2 or in Windows 7.

0x00000027 Stop error occurs when you access shared network resources by using the SMB 2.0 protocol in Windows Server 2008 R2 or in Windows 7.
IT Guy

Re: Blue Screen when scanning network   28 May 2014, 05:08

I'm on service pack 1, and these patches don't apply to me (I tried anyways, but they wouldn't install)

Re: Blue screen when scanning network with additional parameters   28 May 2014, 12:03

Then I suggest you do your own research. There are numerous mentions of this issue on the Internet and there may be other patches.
Started with a fresh install of windows 7 x64 SP1 on a HP Elite Desk 800, no problems with network scanner. Started systematically installing our software one at a time, including all other settings, no problems. Right after I do Windows Update, I get blue screen when scanning as I described above. Going to see if I can pin point which update causes the problem. I’m REALLY surprised that no one else is having this issue.
Solved the problem.

I failed to mention that we recieve our Windows updates through a patch distribution server (Shavlik). There was some kind of "hotfix rollup" that gets included in the updates, which applies various "hotfixes" to Windows. These hotfixes wouldn't come from Windows Update directly, which is probably why no one has this issue. Once I removed these extra hotfixes, I stopped getting BSODs. I didn't go through them one at a time to try and narrow down which one(s) were the culprit, but here was the short list:

kb2505454
kb2561821
kb2637518
kb2639308

Once removed, the network scanner works flawlessly again. What an awesome tool - I couldn't work without it!

Re: Blue screen when scanning network with additional parameters   10 June 2014, 11:11

Thank you for sharing your findings! ok, yes, thumb upwink

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.