How netscan handles range extenders

Started by Gary

Gary

How netscan handles range extenders   17 August 2014, 19:57

I have a TP Link Range Extender in my network. The network scanner detects it and all the device that are connected to it. However, for the devices connected to the range extender it displays the correct ip address but displays the mac address, name and friendly name of the range extender and not the connected device. This make is a little harder to verify what is actually on the network.

Is there a configuration setting I have overlooked, is it possible to get the proper mac address and names?

Any advice would be appreciated
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: How netscan handles range extenders   18 August 2014, 15:54

It's the MAC address resolution order. You just need to change the following settings to fix it: go to Options - Settings - Additional - Resolve MAC address. Tick and reorder the entries as:

1. Router MIB query
  2. NetBios query
  3. ARP query

It's not guaranteed to work, but should help.

This is happening because when you are scanning behind the extender, it may respond to every ARP request with its own MAC address rather than the target device’s address.
Gary

Re: How netscan handles range extenders   19 August 2014, 23:27

Andrew,
I tried your suggestion, but it didnt help. Your brief explanation though was helpful and if I understand you correctly, if the range extender is responding with it MAC address, there is not a lot that network scanner can do. I will investigate what can be done on the range extender

thanks
gary
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: How netscan handles range extenders   20 August 2014, 08:34

That's right, if the extender responds with its own MAC address, the network scanner has very few options to find out MAC addresses behind it. So, if there's an option not to substitute the MAC address in the extender's settings, that would be the best way.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.