Information Source for Network Segmentation

Started by jrwright

jrwright

Information Source for Network Segmentation   20 August 2014, 03:27

I have have multiple network segmentations on my network. Each segmentation is created via my firewall with a "trust" level. The highest trust level can see all segmentations below it. The lower trust levels can see lower trust levels, but they can't see the network in a higher trust level. We are running an Active Directory server.
I am running Netscan from a LOWER trust level to a HIGHER trust level to see if I can actually obtain any information. As expected I am not able to get any useful information except there are 4 items that I am curious about. I can see the HostName and LAN Group. I am assuming that is from my AD server. I can also see the MAC Address and the NIC Card Vendor. I am not sure how that is possible if I can't actually reach the machines. Where is Network Scanner getting the HostName, LAN Group, MAC Address, and NIC Vendor from?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Information Source for Network Segmentation   20 August 2014, 08:32

Host names come from a DNS server (via gethostbyaddr), an SMB (file sharing) protocol probe or a NetBios probe.
LAN Groups comes from NetWkstaGetInfo (I am not sure where it gets the info), an SMB probe or a NetBios probe.
MAC address could come from router's MIB tables, ARP queries sent to a target host, or a NetBios probe.
NIC vendor is looked up from a MAC address via a publicly available mapping table.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.