Issues with Task Manager in Windows 8.1 x64

Started by Andrew-guest

Andrew-guest

Issues with Task Manager in Windows 8.1 x64   28 September 2013, 20:12

Hi.
There seems to be a problem with the latest version of RAM Disk (v3.4.0).

I have 1 constant RAM Disk configured at "D:\RAMdisk1.svi", mounted to R:. Removable or not - doesn't matter.
I have 2 mirrored volumes made up from 4 physical HDDs, E: and F:.

At various occasions, when the pc is just booted up, or when I open some Explorer window, or RAM Disk window etc - if I try to open the Task Manager, it either doesn't show up, or it shows up the second or 3rd time only.

Then when I look at its second tab, here is what I see: http://i.imgur.com/5PyWk2M.png

As it shows, R: may stick randomly to different physical drives, even to several hdds, and in each case it may show several "R:" marks. I think this random bug has something to do with the reason why Task Manager fails to show up in 2 of 3 cases. I wonder if it should be detected as a stand-alone drive and not stick to existing ones.

When I discount my ram disk - Task Manager works just fine and always show if launched.

Also, I've just tried to disable the option "Global drive letters for RAM volumes", and it seemed to fix this problem too, however R: is nowhere seen in Task Manager now. Not a big deal, I guess.
Andrew-guest

Issues with Task Manager in Windows 8.1 x64   29 September 2013, 03:05

Nope, it seems the "Global drive letters for RAM volumes" didn't do much afterall, the Task Manager is still crashing sometimes and R: appearing randomly like shown on original screenshot.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Issues with Task Manager in Windows 8.1 x64   29 September 2013, 21:22

Tick the HDD emulation option on in the RAM Disk's properties.

It may be a bit slower, but unfortunately that's the only workaround yet.
Andrew-guest

Issues with Task Manager in Windows 8.1 x64   29 September 2013, 23:32

Thanks for suggestion but unfortunately every time I try to enable HDD emulation, my PC goes BSOD from spvve.sys.

Issues with Task Manager in Windows 8.1 x64   30 September 2013, 11:01

I would really appreciate if you could enable kernel memory dumps as explained here and try the latest RAM disk build.

If it works, that's great. If not, we'll have valuable information for identifying and fixing this issue.
Andrew-guest

Re: Issues with Task Manager in Windows 8.1 x64   02 October 2013, 17:55

Thanks.
I've tried that build and I must say I haven't got any BSODs yet. However the first time I mounted my image, then tried to restart my pc - the whole desktop freezed (happened 1 time only) and I couldn't tell what's happening since Task Manager didn't report anything unusual. After I closed Task Manager, the desktop was unfrozen, and again I selected to restart the pc. Since then it was stuck at the "Restarting" screen forever so I had to hard-reset the pc.

That's it so far - mounting and unmounting RAM disks with HDD emulation works fine, however if I restart the pc while the disk is mounted, I'm stuck at the "Restarting" screen. Disabling HDD emulation solves this problem.

Btw, before installing new build of RAM Disk I've disabled my dynamic volumes along with software RAID1's. They are useless for a regular user, because after any forced reboot or BSOD a mirror has to be resynced from scratch.

Re: Issues with Task Manager in Windows 8.1 x64   15 November 2013, 15:08

We have fixed the issue with Task Manager crashes in version 3.4.3.

Please install the latest version from the home page.
Lukas

Re: Issues with Task Manager in Windows 8.1 x64   26 November 2013, 14:04

I can't even install it. Computer freezes up when almost complete installation (after emulation driver is installed) . Once in a clean Windows 8.1 x64 install.
Andrew-guest

Re: Issues with Task Manager in Windows 8.1 x64   29 November 2013, 16:34

Thanks, it seems the issue is really fixed, I don't see problems with Task Manager now.

Lukas, maybe you were trying to install it without uninstalling previous version first? Make sure to delete it completely and reboot your pc before installing latest version. It worked for me when I was upgrading 3.4.2 to 3.4.3. Just like installer suggested.

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.