Hard Disk Emulation

Started by ksquared

ksquared

Hard Disk Emulation   31 January 2014, 03:36

This is my first posting here, and I did try to read through previous threads, but I still had two questions.

I was wondering if there were any compelling reasons to use the Hard Disk Emulation when setting up the RAM Disk, or is this more just for being able to see the RAM Disk in Disk Manager and/or running benchmark programs?

If the Hard Disk Emulation is turned on, is there any comparison data to show the speed impact vs. Hard Disk Emulation turned off?

Thanks.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Hard Disk Emulation   31 January 2014, 11:14

Certain Windows services such as Volume Shadow Copy and Windows Backup only operate on a fully emulated HDD.

It's also possible to create partitions on those RAM disks and merge dynamic volumes in a RAID array.

Other than that, if you don't need the above to operate on a RAM disk, there's no need to use the HDD emulation.

As to how much slower it is, it really depends on what other software may be installed and OS version. If you'd like to run a quick test, try Crystal Disk Mark.
4EverMaAT

Re: Hard Disk Emulation   19 February 2014, 19:55

does the windows paging file need full hdd emulation? I was considering moving the windows paging file there. Wondering if there was anything special to consider.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Hard Disk Emulation   23 February 2014, 11:08

No, it does not need the HDD emulation (although placing a page file on a RAM disk may be a bad idea; this article explains why).

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.