RAM Disks and a Page File

Started by hmp_goose

hmp_goose

RAM Disks and a Page File   21 February 2014, 06:50

OK: So I'm a fan of putting an instance of the page file on a RAM disk. I've got gobs of RAM waiting for something to do, and here-tele there are apps out there that will though a fit if they don't see a page file on the system; And since the OS just has to use a page file if given one, I'd just as soon it be on a RAM disk.

Also, I don't see how it's any "worse" doing this then letting the page file pass through the disk cache.

Anyways: It seems clear I want to use a "Boot" disk, to come up sooner rather then later, there comes the question of weather once can get a page file on a RAM disk, automatically, without using an image file. I cheerfully point the four "temps" to a RAM disk, and it just makes sense to not ever save any of that dross, nor for the browser cache, but what does the page file need?

… Or am I over-thinking this, and should just burn two drive letters, and outright give the page file it's image …
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: RAM Disks and a Page File   23 February 2014, 11:11

The page file needs not be saved.

It's okay to have the page file on a RAM disk whose contents disappears upon shutdown.

In fact Microsoft recommends clearing a page file as it may contain sensitive information.
hmp_goose

Re: RAM Disks and a Page File   24 February 2014, 17:02

I'm not shore what you are telling me: I suspect Windows expects the page file to just "be there" from the get-go, thus my choice of a Boot disk from an image with a blank page file on it.

Part how I came to use this software was how the OS would seemingly at random ignore the page file on the previous RAM disk, after what seemed years things being fine. Of course, I wasn't checking up on things much for most of those years ...

From here ( http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/get-maximum-performance-from-windows-vista-from-windows-vista-inside-out ) you find http://billsway.com/notes_public/WinXP_Tweaks/WinXP-2K_Pagefile/ to help one figure out what size page file to get. I've decided to set for twice the peak page file I ever find …

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.