What are you using RAMdisk for?

Started by Ramboy

Ramboy

What are you using RAMdisk for?   24 June 2014, 11:56

I'm looking for good ideas for using RamDisk. Windows Temp folder is a good one. I have put my download folder on it and some frequently used apps.
Any more ideas?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: What are you using Ramdisk for?   24 June 2014, 14:08

It depends on what you do. Many people choose to relocate the browser cache to a RAM disk for both speed and privacy reasons.

We use it in-house for building software (as this process creates lots of small files linked together) by setting up the compiler to place temporary files on a RAM disk.
Ramboy

Re: What are you using Ramdisk for?   25 June 2014, 07:03

Thanks for your great software.ok, yes, thumb up

Re: What are you using RamDisk for?   14 July 2014, 01:07

I use mine for 2 reasons:
1. FireFox 31 cache, when I turn off my PC, the cache is gone (makes less chance of bad virus/malware lingering there).
2. A place for large photos to be manipulated fast, and then if not needed they don't waste my SSD space.

I have 12GB DRAM, but use 1GB ram disk.

Thanks for great product!
user

Re: What are you using RamDisk for?   28 July 2014, 00:20

I use it for Ninjatrader to load all the stock data received during the day so that it doesnt go to SSD to fetch. I also put 7z temp path on ramdisk.
Timo

Re: What are you using RamDisk for?   26 August 2014, 07:02

Hi,

• Windows temp and tmp and Admin temp and tmp.
  • As a cache drive (or working dir) of various heavy duty SW packages.
  • As working folder of password protecting compression SW, many of them decrypt password protected packages to some disk. They do delete the temp files after they are not needed anymore but they do not delete them properly, it is easy to fish those temp files up. From volatile RAM drive all is gone when power goes off.
  • As the location of *.BAK files. Some/many SW provide the BAK file functionality. But usually those *.BAK files are just an annoyance. By having the BAK files on the volatile RAMdrive I get some level of safety against mishaps and still they get deleted automatically and are never irritatingly present in the actual working folder.

With Best Regards,
Timo
SAVHP

Re: What are you using RamDisk for?   29 August 2014, 02:50

In addition to the uses for cache and temp files, I have found that a small page file set as 16-100MB on my ramdisk speeds up windows responsiveness in general.
dosforever

Re: What are you using Ramdisk for?   04 September 2014, 17:02

Ramboy

Thanks for your great software.ok, yes, thumb up

I think so, too.
dosforever

Re: What are you using Ramdisk for?   04 September 2014, 17:04

I put the VM disk into RAM disk.
Brandon

Re: What are you using RamDisk for?   25 July 2017, 06:22

Since they get wiped on restart they are great for working with decrypted copies of encrypted data. No much point of having encryption if you load the exported and unencrypted files into the hard drive upon entering a password.

Another use is having to share multiple copies of a file. Load in ram first.

Very private chat servers.

If some of your software is "calling home" and catches you every time you go online, it might be nice to be able to reload the original image...

Maybe one could do a virtual machine off a ramdisk so that one os could monitor the changes made to another while activating a program (so as to repeat the macro and activate future installations offline)

Lots of uses....
Chris Smith

Re: What are you using RamDisk for?   07 August 2017, 14:21

I'm using it to copy games files for a game I play to the ramdisk to get better load times. The game is planetside 2, makes it run so much smoother.
Dung

Re: What are you using RamDisk for?   24 August 2017, 19:28

I'm using RAMdisk to place internet temp and downloaded files on it. Not only to make it faster, but after reboot i'm sure content is securely gone.

Re: What are you using RamDisk for?   26 August 2017, 00:45

Using RamDisk as the tempDb for Microsoft SQL Server. Given that it's 5 to 10 times faster than an SSD in DiskMark tests, and the tempDb is disposable between reboots, it makes perfect sense.
Spiderkeys

Re: What are you using RAMdisk for?   01 September 2017, 17:55

If you use Evernote, move your entire Database to a RAMDisk.

Performance is excellent, I have never noticed the slightest lag since.

And for the risk of data loss, if it's being constantly uploaded to the server you hardly have anything to worry about.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.