Optimal RAM Disk size

Started by BearPup

Optimal RAM Disk size   25 June 2014, 10:42

I have a 1 month old computer running a quad core FX+ AMD processor, a Hybrid Main Disk Drive, RX7 260X AMD Video card with 2 GB GDDR5, and 12 GB RAM. I also use a software accelerator "PCBoost 4" (PGWare) and have a 18,282 MB Swap File. I currently have a RAM Disk of 4 GB size that is created on Boot-up and has all TEMP & TMP files directed to it. And according to my file manager out of the 4 GB allocated, 3.9 GB is free.

Now the questions: is there some minimum / maximum / ideal size for a RAM disk to be? Does anyone know what the maximum size of TEMP files created by Windows is? Can that maximum size be changed (expanded / contracted)? Any thoughts on speeding up disk access?

Any and all help / suggestions greatly appreciated.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Optimal RAM Disk size   25 June 2014, 12:10

RAM Disk size can only be changed by recreating it or changing its settings and a reboot. It cannot be shrunk or expanded dynamically.

However, 4 GB should be enough for virtually anything you do while leaving other 8 GB for the system and applications. You may also want to move your browser page cache to the RAM disk for better performance.

Re: Optimal RAM Disk size   26 June 2014, 00:18

Many thanks for the information. I appreciate the help in getting started with the RAM software.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.