"unknown" program using a large % of badwidth

Started by Lord_Cthulhu

Lord_Cthulhu

"unknown" program using a large % of badwidth   18 June 2013, 21:03

Hey Ii was just wondering if someone on here could help me figure out how to find the "unknown" program that's using 73% of my badwidth here in this image, i installed networx today because i believe optus is charging me wrongly for my usage and after many many calls to them they finally say that they cannot release my own data usage information for my own account. thats retarded.
right here you can see this unknown applicaiton leeching 210MB and i really have no idea what it could be, i thought i was being hacked at first but i am using WPA2 Personal, MAC filtering and i change the 55 character passphrase each morning but i still find that my data usage information on the optus "my account" page is wrong, even if only by a few hundred MB or a couple of GB's on any day but at the end of the month it really does add up because my limit is 50GB

So do any of you have any advice/help? It would be MEGA appreciated as i have been stressing over this for 2 weeks now..

SoftPerfect support forum
Lord_Cthulhu

"unknown" program using a large % of badwidth   18 June 2013, 21:09

* my bad, that pic is a couple of hours old when i posted. its only used 127MB there but at the moment its at 220MB and is still using around 70% of my total badwidth, my laptop is the only thing connected to the internet in my house by the way.
Viktor

"unknown" program using a large % of badwidth   19 June 2013, 04:43

yes that is happening to me also.... wonder wat is it...
Lord_Cthulhu

"unknown" program using a large % of badwidth   20 June 2013, 00:04

traffic usage per application
Posted by Praxis (June 19, 2013 03:29)
Note: the 'unknown' traffic is a 'ghost', it's never been transmitted through my router or measured/charged for by my ISP.
From a post on another topic:

However it does affect the Networx quota so you think you've used a lot when you haven't..

To satisfy yourself that this is 'ghost' traffic, compare the Networx total to your ISP which should provide the data usage/traffic counts throughout the month.
Well, at least my ISP, Bell Canada, does.
I simply log into "My Account" on the Bell web site and a few clicks later I can see the m-t-d total traffic and 2 clicks more I can have a csv file with detailed data for each connection session (I don't stay connected 24x7).

Once you verify that the 'unknown' isn't real (you don't get billed for it) you'll feel better but you'll still have to do the math to determine your real usage by backing out the 'unknown' from the overall totals.

Or, give up tracking by application unless you're sure you need to track something...

IMHO only of course wink

"unknown" program using a large % of badwidth   20 June 2013, 03:49

unknown process can be due to many reasons.many antiviruses like avast,bitdefender etc scan http traffic by temporarily routing the incoming traffic through one of their own process/service which in turn may be running through system service svchost.exe which will not be shown by networx.same is true for many softwares which use svchost.exe to download updates & of course all microsoft products do this too.as for mismatched usage keep in mind that there is something called "overhead" for every connection(download/upload) your PC make meaning actual data passing through your ISP's end will always be a bit more than what is coming/going out of your PC hard disk.if you want to correctly monitor your data transfer use SNMP tracking function of networx which basically monitors the amount of data passing through your router which should be very close to your ISP's records.do note that i posted a conflict between bitdefender free edition & networx which result in crashing of networx after 3-4 hours of usage so if you are using bitdefender free you have to compromise on real time monitoring to enable SNMP tracking.
Lord_Cthulhu

"unknown" program using a large % of badwidth   24 June 2013, 16:45

thanks for the reply, yeah i did try to enable SNMP but networx comes up with an error when i try to enable it, it says my router probably does not support SNMP, now i checked the model number, and SNMP is listed as a feature, but i cannot find a way to activate it, so i looked around through some forums and apparently optus locks out the ability to use SNMP for this model, i am kind of stumped.. i guess i'll just live with it for now.
NetWorx still has its useful functions to me though smile

"unknown" program using a large % of badwidth   25 June 2013, 00:01

I'm sure that most routers supplied by an ISP will not allow the user to use SNMP.
If you want the feature, you'll have to buy your own router (check before buying though and make sure it has all the nice extra security features too).

J

"unknown" program using a large % of badwidth   25 June 2013, 00:15

whitestar_999 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ......svchost.exe which will not be shown by networx

I saw svchost traffic when I was testing the Apps feature, so valid svchost traffic is shown.

The issue is that there 'appears to be a huge volume of traffic' for 'unknown' when there isn't any real traffic.
The issue may be in the Networx software (drivers?) or someplace else.

The 'unknown' can be eliminated by using sqlitespy to provide a 'name' for the 'unknown' row in the Application table in the Networx database as I said in a separate post. But that's not a viable solution since a new row can be created at a later date and then you'll see more 'unknown' traffic.

J

"unknown" program using a large % of badwidth   25 June 2013, 00:42

I use a spreadsheet to record traffic as shown by:
1) Networx
2) my router
3) my ISP usually once a month
because I have 'extra billing points' at:
up to 500MB base monthly rate of $35
up to 1GB extra $5, total $40
up to 3GB extra $15, total $55
up to 5GB extra $15, total $70
anything over 5GB is $0.03/MB (= $30.72/GB = ouch)

Networx gets its totals from my router (SNMP) and is very useful because I can use the Quota feature to warn me when I'm close to a point where I'll have an extra charge. This works in 'real time', which means that I don't have to keep entering totals from the router and checking the ISP frequently when I'm getting close. This is the most important feature.

Networx also has the extras such as SpeedMeter which I use to track specific large downloads and time taken and reports by Day, Week, Month etc. which aren't available from the router or as easily from my ISP.

So Networx is a very useful application that I wouldn't want to be without.

But unfortunately I haven't had the same luck with Networx when using the "All connections" and "Ignore local"...sad
which is the only way to use the new Applications report.

J

"unknown" program using a large % of badwidth   02 July 2013, 01:53

If task manager doesn't show the path to the "unknown" process / file, then use something like Process Explorer (one of the best) from Sysinternals http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.

It often shows more info than task mgr. If path column in task mgr isn't selected, add Image Path Name. Go View > Select Columns > check Image Path Name.
Hi,

I'm experiencing a similar problem to Lord_Cthulhu.

In this instance, the reported traffic is definitely 'real' - High usage reported by our ISP is the reason we are using Networx.

Networx (5.2.10 64-bit) has been installed on my machine since the 20th of September.
Only the network associated with our router is monitored and local traffic is ignored.
For monitored applications, and the network, the usage report is accurate.

There is one unknown application (identified by Chinese characters) which reflects total usage of 65% (10.7 GB).
This data is showing 10.7 GB received - 0 bytes sent.
I have the same situation on another PC - 97% usage (17.7 GB) all data is sent only.

There aren't any installed applications that should have this high-a-usage --> I've scanned all the PC's for viruses and malware - 'no threats detected'.

What is causing this usage? How can I identify and eliminate these suspicious applications?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: "unknown" program using a large % of badwidth   13 October 2013, 12:54

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.