Current Transfer Rate randomly shows all zeroes

Started by rseiler

Current Transfer Rate randomly shows all zeroes   15 November 2013, 05:21

This is something that I've seen over many months, first with Win8 and now Win81.

All recent versions up through 5.2.11 (64). WinPCap. "Ignore local traffic within the LAN: Intel(R) 85279V Gigabit network Connection" selected in Monitored interfaces.

What happens is that hovering over the tray icon shows zero traffic even when there's plenty of traffic and the correct NIC is chosen (as always, see above). I actually first notice this because I have a traffic notification setup and end up not seeing the graph popup when I know it absolutely should be.

This sometimes happens randomly in the middle of the day and even sometimes starts off this way after rebooting.

The only way I know to fix it temporarily is to go into Monitored interfaces (where everything always looks right), choose another entry, change it back to what it was, and click Apply.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Current Transfer Rate randomly shows all zeroes   15 November 2013, 09:58

Sounds like a WinPCap issue that stops reporting traffic after a while.

Have you tried updating to the latest version of it (WinPCap 4.1.3)?

Re: Current Transfer Rate randomly shows all zeroes   15 November 2013, 10:02

Yes, I've had that version since not long after it came out in the early part of the year. Unfortunately, I can't recall if that's when this problem started.

Re: Current Transfer Rate randomly shows all zeroes   09 September 2014, 16:24

This still happens, so what about this idea: is it possible to learn what Networx does when enacting the workaround I described above? I don't think you really even need to choose another entry temporarily, you can just choose the same one and "Apply," which to me is the same as doing nothing but it's obviously doing something.

If I knew what Networx was doing behind-the-scenes when doing the above, perhaps it's something I can setup in Task Scheduler to happen auotmatically, say, every hour in the hope that will be enough to prevent the issue.

Re: Current Transfer Rate randomly shows all zeroes   10 September 2014, 15:15

I have added a workaround where NetWorx checks if WinPCap has returned nothing for a minute, and if that's the case, it re-opens the adapter.

Kindly try the latest builds and let me know if this helps.

Re: Current Transfer Rate randomly shows all zeroes   11 September 2014, 16:50

That's great. I'm trying it now and will report back.

Re: Current Transfer Rate randomly shows all zeroes   12 September 2014, 17:26

I looked in on it numerous times today and never once saw it at zeros, so this looks like it did the trick! I wish now that I'd thought to come back to this thread a lot sooner. Thanks.

Re: Current Transfer Rate randomly shows all zeroes   12 September 2014, 18:27

Great, thanks for letting me know! ok, yes, thumb up

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.