A "bird's view" of connected SOHO devices

Started by Rudy

Rudy

A "bird's view" of connected SOHO devices   11 June 2014, 18:26

Hi there
Greeting from Cape Town, SA!

We have been battling with over-usage of bandwidth at home.. We have 3 PCs - mine and my two kids, and my wife's laptop. I have downloaded Networx Portable free version and installed it on the 4 devices. 3 use UPnP to access our WiFi router, the fourth (linked to the router via Ethernet) uses that option. Is there a way (or product!) allowing me a "bird's view" of the 4 devices, so that when I opt for something like "at a glance" usage report, I'll be able to see the four users in our family as well as the total usage?

I am happy to purchase from you a reasonably priced SOHO solution to do this.
What say you, can you help?

Best

Rudy
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: A "bird's view" of connected SOHO devices   11 June 2014, 19:32

Yes, please see this page about the Synchronisation feature.

Re: A "bird's view" of connected SOHO devices   11 June 2014, 22:08

Hi Rudy,

Does your router provide usage by NAT address (individual PC) or simply total usage between the router and your ISP?

I ask because:

I have two PCs and, if both are active and both have Networx query the router for traffic and I sync their usage, then they both report the same total usage, which of course is 'double' and is therefore wrong. (It's OK, i.e. not doubled, if only one PC is active at a time.)
Therefore I have to designate one PC as the 'master' and run two instances of Networx on it.
One instance (installed) queries the router for overall usage which is very close to the usage reported by my ISP.
The other instance (portable) and the single instance on the second PC monitor their adapters with the option to ignore local traffic. These are the instances that are sync'd. Their totals are slightly different than the total reported by the router but give a reasonable idea of usage by user/PC.

My router can only keep a total usage of up to 4GB, then it 'rolls over' to zero. This isn't a problem for me in a given month since I never use over 3GB but it does mean that I have to reset the router counters each month before any usage occurs in the 'new' month. It doesn't have the option that Networx has to automatically reset it's counters.

J

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.