Monitor one device only

Started by AndyH

AndyH

Monitor one device only   13 June 2014, 10:49

Hi,

Sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere, I've looked but cant seem to find the answer.

My computer is linked to a wireless router, there another 6 or 7 devices connected. I also connect to my works network via VPN through the computer. I just want to monitor the usage from my computer only. I currently have the settings to monitor all connections and then I have checked ignore LAN traffic. Is this the right setting?

The reason I ask is because when I look at the individual app usage it seems that the VPN client and Windows explorer is using a very low amount of data even though I am uploading and downloading. Is it possible that the VPN usage is being ignored?

Thanks for your help.

Seems like a great piece of software smile
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Monitor one device only   13 June 2014, 12:17

I am not sure if the Ignore LAN traffic option would work correctly with VPN (in this case it's unclear what should classified as local and what is not). Just untick this option and choose the adapter you are using for the physical connection, that's your wired or wireless adapter you are using.
AndyH

Re: Monitor one device only   13 June 2014, 12:36

Thanks for your help.

In this case I have the following: Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter which connects me to the router, am I right in thinking that any data I use including the data I have downloaded through the remote connection will go through this?

The reason I ask is because whenever I copy a file over from my works network it uses much less data than the actual file size. Is that normal?

Sorry for all the questions.

Re: Monitor one device only   13 June 2014, 13:10

Yes, normally any data passed through Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter should be recorded (including any VPN connections those traffic also goes through this adapter).
AndyH

Re: Monitor one device only   13 June 2014, 13:36

After a bit more digging it seems the CISCO has it's own virtual adaptor, when I set Networx to monitor just the CISCO adaptor the readings look right for downloads but all the other data is missing.

When I set it to record the Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter everything but the CISCO adapter is showing.

If I have all connections showing the amount of data is off the scale - gigabytes in minutes with files of only a few MB downloading.

Any Ideas?

Re: Monitor one device only   13 June 2014, 16:04

There's a chance Cisco has also created a virtual adapter over Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter.

Check if there are other entries containing Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter and try choosing one of them.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.