Frequent disk writes

Started by martinlevac

martinlevac

Frequent disk writes   01 August 2014, 00:03

I noticed Networx writes to disk every second when I turned off write caching. I assume the disk writes are for the log file. If this is how it works, I would like the option to set the interval manually to reduce disk writes.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Frequent disk writes   01 August 2014, 00:53

It shouldn't be the case. Normally NetWorx writes data to disk once a minute. How did you determine it was doing it every second?
martinlevac

Re: Frequent disk writes   01 August 2014, 01:08

I checked with resource monitor. I was experimenting with write cache and when I turned it off I noticed disk activity every second so I checked resource monitor to see which app was writing so often. It was Networx. It wrote about 40k every second. With write cache on, disk activity goes down to about once every 10-15 seconds. To check if it was really Networx, I stopped it, then restarted it. When stopped, disk activity is almost nil. When restarted, it writes to disk every second again. I had to uninstall it until a solution was found. That's why I post here.

Re: Frequent disk writes   01 August 2014, 13:54

Sorry, this doesn't seem to be reproducible. NetWorx accesses disk very infrequently, it doesn't even show up in the resource monitor.
SoftPerfect support forum
martinlevac

Re: Frequent disk writes   01 August 2014, 17:01

I can't reproduce the problem either. I'm not sure what I did to fix the problem. What I mean is between the time the problem occurred a few days ago and now, I got a new main HDD and reinstalled windows fresh and all drivers and stuff, so I have no idea what exactly caused the problem or how it got fixed. I thought it was Networx when I checked it with resource monitor, but now it works fine so it must have been something else. Sorry for the trouble.
Rick McCoy

Re: Frequent disk writes   24 September 2014, 15:36

had the same issue today brought down my major app to a crawl, turned off networx and it got better...more to follow after testing tomorrow

Re: Frequent disk writes   21 June 2015, 14:57

I can reproduce these results. The application uses my disk constantly and uses more CPU when I have a YouTube video loading, a file downloading, and a torrent downloading. The following files are screen shots of its disk usage and CPU usage in the following circumstances.
1. All intensive network/disk operations are paused/halted.
2. Loading/Watching a YouTube video in 720p, downloading a file (Firefox).
3. Loading/Watching a YouTube video in 720p, downloading a file (Firefox), downloading a torrent (Deluge).

http://imgur.com/a/P17KB

Re: Frequent disk writes   21 June 2015, 15:03

Sorry, posted before creating an account. I can reproduce the results above. ^^
Please contact me if you need anything because I would really like to fix or find a solution to this.

Re: Frequent disk writes   21 June 2015, 19:39

Try running the Process Monitor and filter out NetWorx activity. Without knowing what it's writing or reading, we can only guess.

Re: Frequent disk writes   22 June 2015, 15:15

After running Networx under the same circumstances I described in my previous post I saved the Process Monitor Log. I'm sorry I had to upload the file to an external service and I could not provide a direct download link. The file is over 100 KB even compressed and my server is offline.
Log file created with Process Monitor

Re: Frequent disk writes   22 June 2015, 19:05

Well, there is very little disk usage according to this log. If you take a look at Tools - File Summary in the Process Monitor, you can see a total of around 300 kB read and less than 50 kB written. This barely represents a lot if disk activity wink

Similarly if you have a look at the log itself, you can see a bit of writing at 2:53, then another bit at 2:54 and then only at 2:57 when NetWorx flushes the recorded data usage to the database file.

Re: Frequent disk writes   22 June 2015, 19:11

Perhaps it's the network activity that drew your attention, not the disk's. If you have NetWorx configured to exclude LAN traffic it has to process every network packet to determine whether it's local or not. This may cause significant CPU usage and well as network throughput indicated by your screen shot above, which is unavoidable I am afraid.

Re: Frequent disk writes   24 June 2015, 08:52

I'm really confused on whats happening. Both task manager and Process Hacker report the application as using 2+ MB/s IO and the system is noticeably slower. However I cannot find anything that backs these numbers. It is not reading or writing very often according to process monitor and it is not reading or writing more than 1 MB of data through these 10+ minutes of average 2 MB/s IO. For now I think I will just close it when I am downloading large files or give it an extremely low IO priority. Thank you for helping out!

Re: Frequent disk writes   24 June 2015, 23:58

Perhaps you can also choose not to ignore LAN traffic, I think this is what slows the system down.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.