Frequent BSODs with NetWorx and Hearthstone (game) on Windows 8.1

Started by twiz

Frequent BSODs with NetWorx and Hearthstone (game) on Windows 8.1   03 August 2014, 14:20

There seems to be some incompatibility between NetWorx and Blizzard's game Hearthstone (website: battle.net/hearthstone/ ). I am not sure if this is limited to Windows 8(.1), but I do know that the issue only arises when both NetWorx and Hearthstone are running, and it doesn't appear to affect any other Blizzard games like Diablo III or World of Warcraft. This happened to me a few months back as well, I not sure if this problem is only affecting NetWorx v5.3, or if it was the older v5.2 as well.

I forgot to write down the message from the BSOD screen, but it said "(tcpip.sys)" after. If I get the error again, I will update this topic.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Frequent BSODs with NetWorx and Hearthstone (game) on Windows 8.1   05 August 2014, 09:27

It's likely to be an issue with the built-in network driver that NetWorx uses to filter out local traffic.

If you had chosen the TDI driver to install, try reinstalling the latest version of NetWorx at which time choose the WFP driver to install and reboot. If you had chosen the WFP driver, try installing TDI instead and reboot.

If still no joy and you need to exclude local traffic, it's possible to use a third party driver:

1. Backup your usage and uninstall NetWorx.
  2. Download and install WinPCap.
  3. Install latest NetWorx again leaving the "LAN Traffic Filtering Driver" option unticked.
  4. When NetWorx starts, you should be able to choose one of your adapters prefixed with "Ignore LAN Traffic" from the drop-down list in the NetWorx settings.

In this case NetWorx will be using the WinPCap driver, rather its own custom driver and you shouldn't have any stability issues again.

Re: Frequent BSODs with NetWorx and Hearthstone (game) on Windows 8.1   05 August 2014, 12:28

Both the TDI (default) and WFP driver cause the BSOD to occur, I will try wiht WinPCap later tonight and update this post.

Re: Frequent BSODs with NetWorx and Hearthstone (game) on Windows 8.1   05 August 2014, 12:56

Also try the latest build, we have got a crash fixed that occurred when the system was running low on memory.

According to the symptoms, it may be the case if the game takes up a lot of RAM.

Re: Frequent BSODs with NetWorx and Hearthstone (game) on Windows 8.1   05 August 2014, 13:17

Using WinPCap seems to have solved the issue. And the game doesn't use up a whole lot of RAM, it is currently sitting around 400MB, with my whole system using around 30-35% of my RAM.

Re: Frequent BSODs with NetWorx and Hearthstone (game) on Windows 8.1   06 August 2014, 12:12

Sorry to double post, but will this be addressed in the future?
I rather liked having the per-application information, which isn't being filled with WinPCap.

Re: Frequent BSODs with NetWorx and Hearthstone (game) on Windows 8.1   07 August 2014, 14:48

NetWorx uses a third-party driver called NetFilter. Its developer is constantly updating and maintaining it and we incorporate fresh versions in NetWorx as they become available.

So sooner or later this bug should get fixed (it probably happens with other software too, not this game alone).
As of 4/Mar/15 the problem has not been resolved with Hearthstone and Networx causing BSOD's.

sigh

Re: Frequent BSODs with NetWorx and Hearthstone (game) on Windows 8.1   05 March 2015, 10:56

In that case I am afraid the only option is to use the WinPCap workaround as suggested above.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.