How to use NetWorx on Home LAN?

Started by abrogard

How to use NetWorx on Home LAN?   16 September 2014, 22:52

My ISP says I'm doing 3G a day. Networx says I'm doing 1G a day.
I have a home LAN with winxp and win7 boxes on it. All networked together. Each can see the others, no worries. Networx is loaded on this machine and is supposed to be monitoring the total usage of the LAN via the router. That's what I thought.

But I suppose I'm wrong. I don't suppose the ISP is wrong. And I don't suppose Networx is wrong. It is me got the wrong idea about how to use it I suppose.
How do I use it? What must I do? Install Networx on each machine? And each instance will find the others and they'll aggregate the numbers? Or I have to go round each machine and add them up for myself? I mean: does it monitor LAN traffic to the Internet reliably or is it meant to monitor only PC traffic to the Internet?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: How To Use Networx On Home LAN?   16 September 2014, 23:31

NetWorx can only monitor traffic on the computer where it is installed. So you basically have got two options:

1. Install NetWorx on every computer on your network. This can only be done if all your computers are running Windows. While NetWorx can only monitor traffic on the computer it is installed on, instances of NetWorx can talk to each other so that each instance is synchronised and shows the actual overall usage. In this case iPads, Smart TV, mobile phones will not be metered.

2. If your router supports so called SNMP or UPnP protocol, you can monitor all traffic via your router. This however will not give you a per-device usage breakdown and the monitoring computer must be continuously on to poll the router and collect usage data. See this link for more details.

Hope this helps.

Re: How To Use Networx On Home LAN?   20 September 2014, 19:20

Thank you, Andrew. It does help. I see this is the second time I've raised the same query essentially in two years. I was asking the same thing back in 2012.

I think I've finally got it. It's really very simple. For what I want, anyway.

I have eight computer on the network. Usually only using four of them. Commonly only using four. Everyone in the family glued to their screens like the robots we are. Two are connected by ethernet to a wireless router. All the others are connected via wireless to that router. That router is not adsl so it is in dumb switch mode and it connects to the adsl modem/router which has no other connections at all.

I think none of that matters at all, really. Is what I've come to believe. If I want stats for all machines and internet traffic only. Because: setting 'ignore local traffic' greys out the 'monitored interfaces' thing and so you can't select anything, so nothing matters. So I've got every machine with Networx installed and all set to 'ignore local traffic' and all 'synchronised'.

So that should be okay, right? Simple as that?

I think so. Please let me know if I'm wrong.

But I think I'm right. I've got one machine not reporting for some reason and one machine used today that didn't have Networx on it at the time. Today's Aanet is showing 2.45G right now and Networx is showing 2.1G The difference is probably in that machine and the one that didn't have Networx earlier.

So I'm a happy chappy right now, thinking I might get a grip on things.

Thanks for your help. And sorry to trouble you twice in two years: I should have learned the first time. Actually I stopped being involved is what happened.

smile

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.