Jobs missing

Started by Shanmugakumar

Jobs missing   20 April 2006, 22:44

Hi - We have been using Print Inspector for monitoring a HP 2420 printer and we have noticed that some print jobs are not captured by this software. We could able to see print events in Event Viewer, but it is not logged in Print Inspector database.

Please let us know why this is happening?

SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Jobs missing   20 April 2006, 23:55

Sometimes it is possible and could be caused by a number of reasons, for example:

1. When a printer driver reports the job as a zero pages job (even if it isn't in reaility)
2. When a timout of 30 seconds elapsed between two pages in the job (often due to a paper jam). This can be fixed. See the first advice here.
3. Whan a job was canceled before completion

Etc. Unfortunately it may not be always possible to fix it.
Tony Martheze

Jobs missing   01 March 2007, 20:19

I picked up a similar problem last night evaluating the software. I am using an SQL database. I noticed that on inspection of the log file, certain entries were not logged to the log table. Increasing the column width for [DocName] to varchar(1024) solved my problem. Normally, the default width would suffice, however, when printing E-mail, a larger width is required.

Tony Martheze

Jobs missing   01 March 2007, 21:32

Having said that, the application still randomly fails to capture jobs. It appears as if this happens "mostly" when using the right-click Print method. I have increased the JobTimeout to 120 seconds. I did Stop and Restart the service.

Nothing is written to the log file. It remains empty. The event log as shown below:

Date Message
01/03/2007 11:18 AM Monitoring started for Auto PDF995 on TONYPDC
01/03/2007 11:18 AM Monitoring started for PDF995
01/03/2007 11:18 AM Service successfully started

I urgently need a resolution to the issue.

Many Thanks

Jobs missing   07 March 2007, 02:08

Even with the criteria you list above (regarding the possiblities in which print inspector may not capture the job), I'm still getting missed jobs.

Each morning I print 3 copies of a report that needs to go to each of our service reps. These reports are anywhere from 15 to 30 pages each. I ran a report in print inspector for the previous week (like I do each week to report to the owners). It shows I printed 78 pages for the week. no, thumb down

Looking through the history in Print Inspector, I see many jobs are missing. My daily reports have been missed each day. I also have a user who insists on printing out her emails from overnight (even though she has two monitors). She prints roughly 30 pages in the morning from Outlook. They're in Event Viewer....but not in Print Inspector. My reports are also in event viewer.

Our company is a paying customer of Print Inspector. My weekly reports (from Print Inspector) to the owners are not accurate. I'm not trying to bash the's intent and purpose is a great asset to any company trying to keep track of wasted prints. Make sure print inspector does what you want it to before you mail the check!
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Jobs missing   08 March 2007, 23:23

Hello Bryan,

It's very sad that you have problems with the Print Inspector. Unfortunately it is a highly hardware dependent product. It works perfectly with some printers and does not work or works badly with other printers. Actually, it depends how accurate the printer vendor developed drivers for the printer, especially the notification mechanism. As we try to sell solutions, not a headache, we always refund the license fee if there's a problem and we cannot solve it. If you have already paid for a license and the product does not work as expected, we would refund the license fee. Simply e-mail to sales at and quote your order ID.

Sometimes you can get the answer faster if you try the forum search and/or have a look at the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.