Feature request: CIDR Notation

Started by WindowsStar

Feature request: CIDR Notation   17 August 2015, 15:38

Andrew,

Would you be able to add CIDR Notation to NetScan? Something like a box at the end of the address range so you can enter a single known address like 10.32.5.40 and in the box put /28 and it would change the range to 10.32.5.32 to 10.32.5.47. Also would be nice to just put in 10.32.9.0 and then /24 in the box and get the 10.32.9.0 through 10.32.9.255 automatically populated. Or maybe you have a smarter way to implement it.

Again and always many thanks. -WS
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Feature Request - CIDR Notation   17 August 2015, 15:47

Try File - Import IP/Host Name List in the main menu wink

SoftPerfect support forum

Re: Feature Request - CIDR Notation   17 August 2015, 16:46

The problem with that is that the input method overwrites the ranges I have in use. Then closes all the other ranges I have open. Is there a way to make it only do that in the selected window range and for any range selected? Typically I have 5 or 6 ranges entered to be scanned. Again I think it would be a nice feature to just have a BOX at the end just before the green plus to enter a CIDR number. Plus then you can use it for many ranges already entered. Just and idea, thanks for the consideration. -WS

Re: Feature Request - CIDR Notation   20 August 2015, 00:45

I see your point. Then I suppose it'd be a good idea to implement it in the same way it works for the Auto-Detect Range dialog and Bookmarks.
This means, if Ctrl is held when you are clicking OK above, any ranges entered through Import IP/Host Names will be merged, otherwise replaced.

This latest build implements the handling of Ctrl.

Re: Feature Request: CIDR Notation   21 August 2015, 16:32

Andrew, Huge thanks as that does work well. It seems to insert the data to after the last IP range which I can work with and then manually move it to the place I want it.

Wish List: What I was really hoping for was something like the screenshot I created. You enter 10.32.2.154 Tab Tab and enter 28 and it would change the field-range to 10.32.2.144 To 10.32.2.159 / 28

Thanks for all your time and I appreciate all the updates you have added to this software over the years. - WS
Attachments:
open | download – NetScanCIDRWish1.jpg (65.7 KB)

Re: Feature Request: CIDR Notation   05 September 2015, 02:35

Andrew,

Been using your suggestion for CIDR for a while now. I am finding it not quite as user friendly as I was hoping and I have made a mistake or 2 using it. I would like to ask if you will add the CIDR notation to the main interface as in my screenshot (or similar). I was showing a few other networking guys my "CIDR added feature fake screen shot" and they loved it.

I hope you will consider this. Thank you -WS

**Note: Everyone reading this. Please support this project. This is highest grade software. SoftPerfect has worked with/listened to all of us to make this the best IP scanning software out there.

Re: Feature Request: CIDR Notation   10 September 2015, 15:55

Try this build, now the [+] button displays a menu and the third option allows you enter a CIDR notation:

Re: Feature Request: CIDR Notation   10 September 2015, 21:28

Thank you Andrew, believe me this is so awesome. 2 issues with setting it up this way. 1) There isn't a way to change the range once it is set. Which I do all the time. So now I have to use the minus and get rid of the range and then put is back which doesn't work for me because then I have the ranges out of order etc. 2) when I see a 10.32.3.64 - 10.32.3.127 I don't know what / that is. Ok bad example that one is easy but it is harder (10.32.7.224 - 10.32.7.255 is that a /26 or /27 hummmm) to know what the range is without the /24 /27 or /25 visible somewhere. Plus with the /26 in a box it fixes issue 1.

Please do not get me wrong. I very much appreciate you looking at this and making the changes and I will keep my word. I know there maybe programming issues or layout issues that made it easier or better to set it up this builds way. If you can, leave what you have but also add the / box? This way you can change the range on the fly and you can see the range when you come back hours later. I understand if this is not possible or something you do not wish to change or add because it changes the software in a way you do not agree with or like.

Again thank you very much. -WS

Edit: Thanks for the IPv6 parts really very nice.

Re: Feature Request: CIDR Notation   14 September 2015, 11:30

Thank you. I guess you are looking for something like this? Download it here.

Re: Feature Request: CIDR Notation   15 September 2015, 08:31

This software has helped me so much through the years worth every penny!

I hate to say this because you have made so many changes and this is almost perfect. What you added is great, however I still need to see the range.

Was hoping for that / to be its own box so you could still enter 10.32.4.93 to ___.___.___.___ /27 and it will fill in the blanks as before but then the /27 is just in its own box.

Then you get [10.32.4.64] to [10.32.4.95] [/27]

Please do not think for one second I am ungrateful because you have done a lot, and I thank you very much.

Maybe this is just my issue: I am trying to change a bunch of networks all divide into many /27 or /28 (10.32.2 10.32.3 10.32.4 ..... 10.32.9), there are a lot of supernets out there to change. Looking for an easy way to enter an IP, the software figures out the range by the CIDR and then scan it. Then change the IP leaving the CIDR and getting a completely new range. I tend to go between the software and this website (http://www.subnet-calculator.com/cidr.php) to figure all these addresses out.

Again thank you for your time and amazing programming skills. -WS

Re: Feature Request: CIDR Notation   15 September 2015, 10:11

Well I guess you could put the range as a comment for CIDR notation entries and vice versa? I mean the yellow icon on the right of the address input fields.

Re: Feature Request: CIDR Notation   15 September 2015, 15:21

Andrew,

Thanks for the latest build...(oh no, missing something)...would you add the "Add from string..." back to the list. I was using that. smile smile

Thanks -WS
Attachments:
open | download – NetScanCIDRWish2.jpg (73.6 KB)

Re: Feature Request: CIDR Notation   02 October 2015, 12:46

Andrew,

Any chance I could pay for an update?

I would like to ask if you could change the CIDR to work like my first screenshot with the program auto updating if you change the IP. I enter 10.32.5.154 and the /27 and it changes the IP range to 10.32.5.128 - 10.32.5.159 /27 then if I find that the site is really a /26 I change the CIDR it changes the range to 10.32.5.128 - 10.32.5.191. Also if you could add the part in my second screen shot as that was really useful too.

I am trying to migrate over a 100 networks like this, and it is killing me to go back and forth between the CIDR calculator to get the ranges correct. Many times I leave several ranges queued to check if we have moved everything.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks. -WS

Re: Feature Request: CIDR Notation   04 October 2015, 22:17

Well, see there's a bit of a problem with this design. Suppose it's done the way you describe:

WS

I enter 10.32.5.154 and the /27 and it changes the IP range to 10.32.5.128 - 10.32.5.159 /27

This means after you enter /27 the address 10.32.5.154 disappears from the input and there's no way to see it or edit it. At the same time, NS needs to remember it to recalculate the range if you change the mask.

I guess what I could do instead is adding a button to convert in-place a CIDR to range and vice versa?

Re: Feature Request: CIDR Notation   05 October 2015, 10:45

Thanks for thinking about this...I am hoping for a totally separate box for the CIDR information. A separate box gives you the ability to just change the number in the box. I am sure I think it is just a matter of a box but on the programming side is may be very difficult. {sorry for just presuming} In my example it was an IP 10.32.5.155 TAB>> past the second IP (ending IP) to the CIDR box. Should have explained that better. Maybe you could have the CIDR box in the software settings as an on or off option??? Many Thanks -WS

Re: Feature Request: CIDR Notation   05 October 2015, 14:00

Sorry, I can't do it like this for the reason I explained above - the behaviour will be inconsistent:
  • Once the CIDR is converted to a range, the IP address specified in CIDR is lost: we have From address, To address and a Mask, but not the address first entered.
  • For this reason if the Mask is changed we can't re-calculate the range because the originally entered IP address is no longer present.

What I offer is to have a button to convert a range to CIDR and vice-versa in place, so you can see what range a CIDR represents and what CIDR represents a range (and can edit those too).

Re: Feature Request: CIDR Notation   05 October 2015, 14:27

Thanks for re-explaining it again...I missed that. The button will be great! Thank you so much for thinking this through and working on it. Major thank you! ok, yes, thumb up

Re: Feature Request: CIDR Notation   05 October 2015, 21:22

Re: Feature request: CIDR Notation   06 October 2015, 02:46

Andrew,

Amazing!! Almost perfect. Two what I hope are minor fixes.

#1 For some reason when I click in the range to make a change it scrolls up to the top of the screen (Ugh). Sometimes clicking on the exchange Icon it jumps to the top. I don't think any of the last versions did this. (Screenshot#1)
#2 This one may not have a work around, however I see how clever you are so there could be something I don't know. Say I have 10.32.5.128 - 10.32.5.191 / 26 and then go to change the first IP address to 10.32.7.144 click on the exchange icon and I get an Invalid range because the second box has 10.32.5.191 still in it. I have to clear that second IP box before moving on or put a 10.32.7.255 in there and then fix the CIDR number after the exchange. Just a bit cumbersome. If there is a slick fix great if not believe me this works so well you have saved me lots of work. (Screenshot#2)

Thank you so much.
Attachments:
open | download – NetScan608a1.png (32.5 KB)
open | download – NetScan608a2.png (38.6 KB)

Re: Feature request: CIDR Notation   06 October 2015, 03:19

Andrew,

Found an error. Was changing from 10.32.5.155 /27 to 10.32.4.44 /27 and the software changed it to 10.32.4.0 /22 when pressing the exchange button, I guess software calculated that because in the range was 10.32.5.128 to 10.32.5.159 and I changed to 10.32.4.44 and pressed the exchange button. Then when I changed the /22 to /27 it came up with the error but looks like it change updated the range correctly. Attached is the error message. It gets stuck in an error loop and you have to use task manager to end the software.

I really hope I explained that correctly.

Thanks -WS
Attachments:
open | download – NetScan608a3.png (36.2 KB)

Re: Feature request: CIDR Notation   06 October 2015, 14:20

WS

For some reason when I click in the range to make a change it scrolls up to the top of the screen (Ugh)

I have seemingly fixed this in the new build.

WS

This one may not have a work around, however I see how clever you are so there could be something I don't know. Say I have 10.32.5.128 - 10.32.5.191 / 26 and then go to change the first IP address to 10.32.7.144 click on the exchange icon and I get an Invalid range because the second box has 10.32.5.191 still in it. I have to clear that second IP box before moving on or put a 10.32.7.255 in there and then fix the CIDR number after the exchange. Just a bit cumbersome.

Well, that's how it works, if I understood you correctly. It converts the current range to CIDR or vice versa. If a range is not valid, or a CIDR is not vaild, you can't convert it to the other type.

WS

Found an error. Was changing from 10.32.5.155 /27 to 10.32.4.44 /27 and the software changed it to 10.32.4.0 /22 when pressing the exchange button, I guess software calculated that because in the range was 10.32.5.128 to 10.32.5.159 and I changed to 10.32.4.44 and pressed the exchange button. Then when I changed the /22 to /27 it came up with the error but looks like it change updated the range correctly. Attached is the error message. It gets stuck in an error loop and you have to use task manager to end the software.

This one I wasn't able to reproduce. Could perhaps describe step by step what I need to put in the fields and what buttons to push to get this error message? By the way, try it with the new build, it may be fixed as well now.

Re: Feature request: CIDR Notation   07 October 2015, 06:35

Andrew,

I am trying to remember how I got the error message, so far no luck, but I have been busy moving subnets and I may just be doing everything the same way over and over. Here is one bug I found.

If you re-use the IP range and clear the To (second box) all blank and then enter something in the IPv4From (first box) say 10.32.5.121 and then click the exchange button I get the error in the attached screenshot.

WS
Attachments:
open | download – NetScan608b1.png (37.7 KB)

Re: Feature request: CIDR Notation   07 October 2015, 08:58

Why is this a bug? You are asking NS to convert a single IP address (not a range) to a CIDR notation - it can't do that with one IP address.

Re: Feature request: CIDR Notation   07 October 2015, 10:05

Humm, why I think it is a bug is, I need to enter the single IP and then enter the CIDR number for the single IP so it will tell me the range. It does that when you start a from scratch is not supposed to do that if you re-use the range? Thanks. smile

Re: Feature request: CIDR Notation   07 October 2015, 12:49

If you want to do it this, switch to CIDR mode first or add a new CIDR entry wink

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.