Network Scanner Behavior Win XP vs Win 7

Started by WindowsStar

Network Scanner Behavior Win XP vs Win 7   04 April 2013, 03:25

Recently I upgraded my main computer from Windows XP (32bit) to Windows 7 (64bit). Both machines are up and running, both have the latest Network Scanner on them, both have the same settings.

Scanning: 172.16.1.1 – 172.16.1.254/24 where my machines are display all the MAC addresses.

Scanning: 172.16.1.1 – 172.22.1.254/24 different networks. On Windows XP this works correctly and all the MAC addresses are displayed. On Windows 7 I only see the MAC addresses on my segment.

Questions: Is this a TCP/IP Stack difference? 64bit vs 32bit issue? Or some configuration setting I need to change on Windows 7 64bit.

Many thanks.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Network Scanner Behavior Win XP vs Win 7   04 April 2013, 12:08

No, it shouldn't be a TCP/IP stack or bitness issue.

There could be a few reasons:

1. Different masks were used in the IP configurations. Say, you could have 255.0.0.0 on the old machine and 255.255.255.0 on the new machine.

2. Different MAC resolution settings. Make sure all the methods are ticked and are in this order:

SoftPerfect support forum

3. Possibly stricter built-in Windows 7's firewall settings. Try turning it off.

Network Scanner Behavior Win XP vs Win 7   04 April 2013, 15:46

Thanks for the reply. I know the settings are the same, I exported them from the Win XP machine and imported them to the Win 7 machine.

Firewall....did not think of that. I will try disabling it and see what happens. Great idea. -WS

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.