WOL Manager error resolving host

Started by Raymond

Raymond

WOL Manager error resolving host   17 May 2016, 09:20

I'm having trouble using Network Scanner to wake any WOL capable devices from sleep or off (S5). I have a shortcut set up to use F8 to save the MAC address to WOL Manager, but the function doesn't work. I got all of the information WOL Manager asks for from the router. It asks for the MAC address, target host and UDP port. I have the MAC address entered correctly, and the host names as Network Scanner displays them. I'm not sure about UDP Port; I thought all WOL packets came on either 7 or 9, but the default setting is 30000. I tried changing to 7 and 9 with no luck. When I press "Wake", I get a message "error resolving host". My Qnap NAS can WOL with the Qmanager app. from my phone. My Router shows a host name for the NAS that is different from the one I assigned it so I tried using this name with no success.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: WOL Manager error resolving host   17 May 2016, 10:02

You are misusing this feature.

A WOL "Magic Packet" should generally be sent to a broadcast address, i.e. all devices in a network. For this reason the target address is usually 255.255.255.255 or a subnet-specific broadcast address.

The host name option is for a different scenario, where you have a device to wake up across the Internet. In that case, it would be the host name of the router in the remote network, which should also should be configured to locally broadcast the received magic packet.

In a LAN a powered off device doesn't have an IP address or host name per se, so you should use something like 255.255.255.255 for IPv4 broadcast.
Raymond

Re: WOL Manager error resolving host   18 May 2016, 07:42

So, what would the issue be with the error resolving host message?

Re: WOL Manager error resolving host   18 May 2016, 09:35

Like I said, when a device is off, it's not functional. So you cannot ping it, or resolve its host name, or do any other network communication with it.
Raymond

Re: WOL Manager error resolving host   19 May 2016, 10:46

WOL Manager asks for the device's MAC address and target host and UDP Port. Are you saying to enter 255.255.255.255 as the target host?

Re: WOL Manager error resolving host   19 May 2016, 12:51

Enter 255.255.255.255 as the target IPv4 address:

SoftPerfect support forum
Raymond

Re: WOL Manager error resolving host   20 May 2016, 08:46

I changed the destination to an IPv4 address; 255.255.255.255.255, but I'm still getting the "error resolving host" message. WOL Manager also asks for the device's UDP port, and I'm not certain of this. It seems to default to 443 which I believe is the port it uses for myqnapcloud (Internet access to the NAS). On the LAN, it uses 8080. I've tried both of these ports along with the common WOL UDP #7&9 and still get the "error resolving host" message. I know that the device doesn't have an active IP when it's sleeping or off and this is probably causing the error message. I would think that Network Scanner would also know this and not attempt to resolve for WOL. It was my understanding that all that was required for WOL was an equipped device and its MAC address (16 times). A wireshark trace of a successful WOL of my NAS shows my phone as the source and the destination as 255.255... Its Protocol is WOL. I also see that before the device's MAC, it says IcpElect_ I'm not sure where this is coming from or whether it's necessary for WOL, but I can't seem to enter it in WOL Manager. No information regarding the Port # is available (at least not that I can discern).

Re: WOL Manager error resolving host   20 May 2016, 09:14

This means the WOL Manager entry's type, which you created, is host name.

As I suggested, create a new entry by clicking Add IPv4 Target and use 255.255.255.255 in the menu shown above. Do not click Add host name target, it will not work.

Regarding the port number, it doesn't really matter what number you use, it can be anything between 1 and 65535.

As to "IcpElect_" shown before MAC address in Wireshark, it is the NIC's vendor determined by from its first three bytes known as OUI.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.