Linking credentials in 'Credential Manager' to specific IP addresses / devices

Started by Aaron

Hi Andrew - Me again... another idea / question for you. Would it be possible to add a way of linking specific credentials in the 'Credential Manager' to specific IP addresses (or MAC addresses)?

Thinking something similar to the 'Friendly Host Names' system - click "Add", then you can enter the IP / device specifics, then have another box which lets you choose from the entries within the 'Credential Manager'. Would reduce the need to retry different credentials against a specific machine when performing queries if you could say X.X.X.X uses CRED1, Y.Y.Y.Y uses CRED2 etc.

Many thanks smile
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Linking credentials in 'Credential Manager' to specific IP addresses / devices   28 October 2016, 12:35

I think I found a simpler way, just by specifying an IP address in the comment. Wildcards are supported too.

Download here. If the current IP address matches the IP address given as a credential's comment, that credential is tried first. What do you think?

SoftPerfect support forum
Hi Andrew. Great idea. Just one concern about it: if IP address is static fine but what would happen if is DHCP enable? Can be MAC? Also wouldn't be great to have both features. What I mean wouldn't be better to have this new ip(MAC) feature without loosing comments?

Also, what do you mean by "...wildcards are supported too"? Is more than one machine use the same credential would be possible to include them?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Linking credentials in 'Credential Manager' to specific IP addresses / devices   31 October 2016, 14:38

Thanks for your comments. I have given it a bit of thought, and came up with an even better solution.

The latest build now automatically remembers which login succeeded for which IP address and maintains a cache.

As a result, after an initial scan the app knows which login should be tried first. This also works for multiple IP addresses and even if a device changes its IP address.
Sorry for the delay in responding to your original post. Good idea - both the comment part, and creating a cache. Thanks again for implementing these changes so quickly!!

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.