Administrative shares and hidden shares

Started by Ahmad

Ahmad

Administrative shares and hidden shares   20 February 2018, 21:35

Dear Experts,

When I use netscan to discover the shared folders on the network, i type precisely what i'm looking for in the configuration by choosing "Folders", and not administrative neither printer ones. However, in the results, I find folders like print$, SMSPKGD$, SYSLOGON, etc ....
Important: all the C$ and ADMIN$ are not shown in the results smile

My questions please: is it normal to find these shared folders? Aren't they considered administrative? Is it possible to change manually the definition of administrative folders to avoid their presence in my report?

Best regards
Ahmad

Re: Administrative shares and hidden shares   21 February 2018, 16:30

C$, D$, .... etc. and Admin$ and IPC$ are the admin shares, the others you displayed typically are not. The $ on the "other" shares just mean it is hidden (well mostly hidden). Print$ is the share for printer drivers and printer information and is available to everyone (e.g. not an Admin Share), the $ just means it is hidden.
Hope that helps -WS
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Administrative shares and hidden shares   21 February 2018, 16:57

Yes, as WindowsStar just explained, these are so-called hidden shares. They are normally not visible when browsing the network, so one would need to know their exact name to access. However, the Network Scanner is able to discover them and show alongside with regular shares.

Hidden shares are created by adding a dollar sign to the end of the name, so all administrative shares are hidden shares, but not all hidden shares are administrative. There is more info on that in Wikipedia.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.