Feature Request: UDP Port Scanning

Started by WindowsStar

Feature Request: UDP Port Scanning   02 November 2013, 06:57

Andrew any possibility to have the option to scan UDP ports as well as the TCP ports. Maybe toggle it on or off? Thanks.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Feature Request: UDP Port Scanning   04 November 2013, 00:02

There are a few UDP services already that the network scanner can discover.

Discovering any UDP port is technically challenging and not anywhere near reliable.

Wikipedia has more info on this.

Re: Feature Request: UDP Port Scanning   04 November 2013, 12:34

Thanks for all the extra information.

The other day I found 3 Rogue DHCP servers on our network. I thought that DHCP might be the issues but all the utilities I used could not find or see any DHCP servers except for our REAL DHCP servers for some reason. I had another network guy help me and we used WireShark to finally discover why I was having DHCP issues; we found 3 DHCP servers and I was hoping NetScan would have found them. I used NetScan several times to see if it could find them now that I knew where they were and what IP addresses they were at, but NetScan could not see them no matter how much I tweaked NetScan. With your wiki page link, I now understand that UPD is hard to scan for. Many Thanks -WS
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Feature Request: UDP Port Scanning   04 November 2013, 14:29

With DHCP is a different story. Generally there's no need to scan for a specific port.

The network scanner broadcasts a DHCP query and expects any (rogue or legitimate) server to respond.

This didn't work for you?

SoftPerfect support forum

Re: Feature Request: UDP Port Scanning   06 November 2013, 10:53

Unfortunately it does not see the Rogue DHCP servers. I does see my real DHCP servers on Windows Server 2008 R2. The Rogue Servers (3 of them) were on a *IX box OS unknown, clever. -WS

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.