NetScan will not stop scanning

Started by Bill

Bill

NetScan will not stop scanning   05 January 2014, 01:40

NetScan is a nice thing to use, but if I want to change from active scanning to another mode, I am always told that "...... mode cannot be run while scanning". So, I try to stop the scanning and it will NOT stop. Clicking the 'Stop Scanning' tool just changes the lower status display to "Finishing" and never changes after that. Is this a bug?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: NetScan will not stop scanning   05 January 2014, 02:12

Usually it's because third-party filtering software doesn't handle a large number of packets of simultaneous packets and netscan's network calls never return.

You can try setting a thread run-time limit in the netscan's settings. Once it elapses, netscan will try to stop it gracefully and then if it fails to stop in 2 x run-time seconds, the thread will be forcibly terminated.

Yet again, it's likely to be a firewall or antivirus issue and the above only serves as a workaround.
Bill

Re: NetScan will not STOP scanning   05 January 2014, 02:22

Understood. See my latest email to you, Andrew.

Bill
Bill

Re: NetScan will not STOP scanning   05 January 2014, 02:43

Sorry, but NetScan has far too many problems for me to deal with and I will take it off my system as soon as I kill it yet again with Task manager. It refuses to respond to any commands and once the scanning is started it cannot be stopped.

Re: NetScan will not STOP scanning   05 January 2014, 13:50

@Bill

I am not sure what you mean has too many problems. This is one of the best PING/Scanning programs that is FREE on the internet. It is so good I have made donations to support it. If you are new to the software please take a few days to get used to how it works, there are a lot of settings and some that are different from say Windows XP to Windows 7 (x86 vs x64). If you are trying to scan 65K devices with ports 1-9100 yes it is going to take a long time and it is going to take quite awhile to stop it, especially if you have increased the threads from 50 to say 1000 to make it go faster.

You might want to take a minute to learn how TCP/IP works and understand the amazing things that this software does before you so quickly bash it and then post something here that is not so friendly. As far as most of us are concerned this software is absolutely amazing! smile
Karl

Re: NetScan will not STOP scanning   14 March 2014, 02:50

I often have this problem as well. Rather annoying when you have scanned thousands of addresses and now you have to kill the process and start all over. I suggest you review the Cancel button programming. It should be able to terminate the remaining threads, but it does not. I always have to kill the process and loose everything...

Other than that I love this software!

Re: NetScan will not STOP scanning   14 March 2014, 06:19

@Karl, as a network engineer it is not NetScan programming so much as TCP/IP. TCP/IP was designed to continue working with out interruption so NetScan is trying to override this normal behavior. NetScan has a "force" threads to stop but note that using it can cause your system to become unstable and you will need to reboot. Forcing TCP/IP so stop is not the best course of action. If you are scanning a lot of addresses and gathering a lot of information (as I do many times a day) your best bet is to use NetScan on a computer that is dedicated for this type of operation. You can even tweak the NIC for better performance etc. Plus start your scan and then do something else while waiting for it to finish. There are times that I need to force stop NetScan but running it on a dedicated machine that can be rebooted it becomes less of an issue. One must realize the amazing things this software does and how well it is programmed. Andrew has to interface with Microsoft's version of TCP/IP and that is difficult at best. Also this is FREE software so there isn't a crew of 100 or a 1000 programmers working on this daily, they are not working with Microsoft Engineers on all the secret hooks to TCP/IP or helping Microsoft fix bugs they have in their code. I think a bit of education here should go a long way in helping you understand that this is less of a programming issue and more a how well the programming does the best it can to work with TCP/IP. That said Andrew is always looking at the code and always updating things as well as re-visiting parts of the software figuring out better ways to do things. Have a great day! laugh

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.