Monitor serial number (EDID)

Started by iao

iao

Monitor serial number (EDID)   06 February 2014, 12:17

i wanna find the LCD monitor serial number by this software, any suggestion for this step, thanks.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Monitor serial number (EDID)   06 February 2014, 12:29

There it is. It requires the Remote Registry service to be running though.

SoftPerfect support forum
iao

Re: Monitor serial number (EDID)   06 February 2014, 12:53

This is not shown
Attachments:
open | download – Capture.JPG (64.1 KB)

Re: Monitor serial number (EDID)   06 February 2014, 13:01

Have you read the "It requires the Remote Registry service to be running" part?
iao

Re: Monitor serial number (EDID)   06 February 2014, 22:58

I was able to find relevant information in the registry

Red is used in the past

Blue is now being used (difference is that there is "Control" )

But I can not need to extract "EDID"

1. Because [SAM0647\4&386461f0&0&UID50529024] each computer is different

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\SAM0647\4&386461f0&0&UID50529024\Device Parameters]

2. I can only export have "Control" of "Device Parameters" → EDID

3. If there are two "Control" more than I can extract all "EDID" it?

I not good at English .. sorry
Attachments:
open | download – regedit.jpg (81.6 KB)

Re: Monitor serial number (EDID)   07 February 2014, 08:20

What the network scanner does is connecting to the remote registry, enumerating subkeys under SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY and reading EDID data.

Then it decodes vendor, serial number and model. The EDID format can be found here.

If you don't have access to the remote registry service, you may want to explore this thread.

Update: I have just added grabbing EDID via WMI if the remote registry method fails. Try this new build.
iao

Re: Monitor serial number (EDID)   07 February 2014, 13:30

Very strong!!

if a computer has two monitors.

I have two monitors messages mention it??
Fiernaq

Re: Monitor serial number (EDID)   17 July 2014, 03:37

Running Network Scanner 5.5.11, checked the "Lookup monitor information" as shown in the screenshot posted by Andrew and I get the exact same value in that column for every computer even though I know for sure that we have monitors from two different manufacturers and that some computers have one monitor while others have two and they're certainly not all the same size. The value that shows up is
CMN 1474 S/N 00000000, DPC 7401 S/N 16843009, FUS 07B8 S/N 16843009, VSC 6F2E S/N 16843009

Re: Monitor serial number (EDID)   17 July 2014, 14:13

That's a bug we've fixed recently.

Please download the fresh build here and it should work fine (in your build it always returns EDID info from the local machine).
Fiernaq

Re: Monitor serial number (EDID)   18 July 2014, 01:00

The good news: each computer now has it's own monitor information listed ok, yes, thumb up

The bad news: the serial number portion is incorrect confused

As a side note, does the registry store info on every monitor ever connected? I should just have 2 displays on my local computer for example, the laptop screen and one external display.
CMN 1474 S/N 00000000, DPC 7401 S/N 16843009, FUS 07B8 S/N 16843009, VSC 6F2E S/N 16843009

The external is a ViewSonic VA-2246M-LED with Model Number VS15451 and a serial number (obfuscated) of TSP####04162. I'm guessing that the "VSC" in the registry is referring to the ViewSonic but neither the "6F2E" or the "16843009" numbers help me at all. Thanks again for your help with this!

Re: Monitor serial number (EDID)   18 July 2014, 01:16

Yes, the Display registry key seems to have all monitors ever connected. So far I am not sure how to separate those not connected.

As to the incorrect serial numbers, please try this utility to see whether it reports the same S/N reported by the network scanner or not.
Fiernaq

Re: Monitor serial number (EDID)   18 July 2014, 06:15

Here is the info displayed by that tool (I sorted columns a bit and am not displaying the unneeded ones to keep this image reasonably sized)

SoftPerfect support forum

Looks like NetScan is grabbing the "Serial Number (Numeric)" instead of the "Serial Number". Apparently you can also determine whether the display is active or not as well as including information such as the week of manufacture, the display size, max resolution, and whether it's a digital connection or analog (helpful to identify which monitor is plugged in with DVI and which with VGA in the case of multiple monitors connected to a laptop dock that only has one of each). There's other info too but nothing that I was interested in.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.