Bug that wipes out set variables within the Applications Option

Started by john8oy

Bug that wipes out set variables within the Applications Option   03 December 2014, 03:18

Good work on version 6.0. However found a bug that wipes out set variables within the Applications Option. I use them a lot so rolled back until theres a fix.

Cheers
John

Re: Bug in v6.0   03 December 2014, 03:36

I found a bug too, just after starting a scan I get an error message. See attached. Thanks -WS
Attachments:
open | download – NetScan 6 Error 1 Small.jpg (98.7 KB)
Shem

Re: Bug in v6.0   03 December 2014, 03:53

I'm getting the same error as WindowsStar on Windows 7 x64 during Live Display scan cycle: Unhandled exception: Access violation at address 0000000000410174 in module 'netscan.exe'. Read of address 0000000000000018.

If I click OK, the scan continues, but periodically the message reappears. It seems that both addresses are always the same.
Shem

Re: Bug in v6.0   03 December 2014, 04:43

Update: The error occurs predictably when scanning only four of my network devices: three PC's with very different configurations and manufacturers and an HP LaserJet printer.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Bug in v6.0   03 December 2014, 10:10

Apparently it's a newly introduced bug, but it does not seem to occur in a test environment. Please download the debug build that comes with debug info. When it crashes, it should automatically send a bug report and we'll fix it right away.

We will also check the application variables issue above.

Update: both issues (the access violation message and missing application variables) have been fixed in this build.
Bill Kelso

Re: Bug in v6.0 (with friendly names)   03 December 2014, 17:54

additionally in the new version 6.0 (x64) the friendly names are not displayed in the main window, even if the clients are in the same segment of the VLAN and the mac-address can be determined.

Re: Bug in v6.0 (with friendly names)   03 December 2014, 18:29

Bill Kelso

additionally in the new version 6.0 (x64) the friendly names are not displayed in the main window, even if the clients are in the same segment of the VLAN and the mac-address can be determined.

Could you please attach some screen shots (of the main window and the friendly names manager)?
Bill Kelso

Re: Bug in v6.0 (with friendly names)   03 December 2014, 20:14

Hi Andrew,

here's a screenshot

SoftPerfect support forum

i also found out, when i add a new friendly name or reassign it manually, everything works fine. it seems, that the problem appears only with the values that were made with the previous version (5.5.12).

Re: Bug in v6.0 (with friendly names)   03 December 2014, 20:20

I think I know why it's happening and will fix it shortly. In the meantime you can just update every item (Edit - OK) without making any changes and it should fix the issue too.
Bill Kelso

Re: Bug in v6.0 (with friendly names)   03 December 2014, 20:53

i did it, it works, but now the friendly names appear twice in the list. had to delete the old ones ..

anyway, Andrew, thx a lot laugh

Re: Bug in v6.0   04 December 2014, 00:37

Confirmed my Variables are now working. Many Thanks
Bill Kelso

Re: Bug in v6.0 (with WOL-Manger / Settings)   04 December 2014, 16:55

In the WOL-Manger, if you click "Advanced" for the WOL-Settings to set the destination, the target (set in a previous version) is now in reverse order. If originally you had 10.197.73.255:300ß it is now 255.73.197.10:3000.

Re: Bug in v6.0   04 December 2014, 19:01

Thanks for pointing it out, I will fix this shortly. This is because the network scanner is now using a more compact and human-readable configuration file, it converts old configuration files and there have been a few minor issues with the conversion. Won't happen again wink
Shem

Re: Bug in v6.0   05 December 2014, 04:16

Thanks so much for the new build. The this fixed the memory access violation errors for me.
Shem

Re: Bug in v6.0   13 December 2014, 05:55

I noticed the same duplication on workaround for MAC address friendly names that Bill Kelso mentioned above. It still occurs in 6.0.2. I exported the friendly name list to a text file and noticed the following difference:
Old Original: 8C:89:A5:54:86:67=something
New Duplicate: 8C89A5548667=something

Perhaps the code no longer recognizes the MAC address with colons.

Re: Bug in v6.0   13 December 2014, 14:41

The reason for this is because in the old format MAC addresses could be in one of the three forms:
AABBCCDDEEFF
AA-BB-CC-DD-EE-FF
AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF

This complicated things, so the new format always keeps them in one format:
AABBCCDDEEFF

Earlier builds of version 6.x had an issue with converting the new names to the old names when upgrading the config files. This issue has been fixed, however it can also occur when doing export/import of friendly names, I will check that on Monday.

Re: Bug in v6.0 - bookmark sorting   12 January 2015, 21:18

Another small bug I've found. I can no longer arrange IP Bookmarks in Bookmark Manager alphabetically. My new entry just remains at the bottom and doesn't respect the 'sort' by clicking the name column.
Sam

Re: Bug in v6.0 - Computer Management missing   13 January 2015, 02:41

Howdy all,

Just wanted to inquire and also report that the latest version is missing an option I use fairly often. I'm not sure if this was intended or not, but the Computer management feature is not available anymore, it is quite simple and powerful tool. I hope this will re-appear in future builds/versions.

Re: Bug in v6.0   13 January 2015, 17:13

john8oy

I can no longer arrange IP Bookmarks in Bookmark Manager alphabetically. My new entry just remains at the bottom and doesn't respect the 'sort' by clicking the name column.

This is indeed an omission and it will be fixed. In the meantime you can re-arrange the entries by using drag'n'drop.

Sam

I'm not sure if this was intended or not, but the Computer management feature is not available anymore. It is quite simple and powerful tool. I hope this will re-appear in future builds/versions.

We have received a couple of reports similar to yours, where user's application entries disappeared after upgrading to version 6.x. Unfortunately the cause is unclear.

You can re-add those custom entries manually, but even better if you have an old config file with the custom entries and can send it to us, that would really help to determine the cause and fix it.

Re: Bug in v6.0   13 January 2015, 21:43

Andrew, thanks for the workaround laugh

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.