Scan never finishes, computer freezes and has to be rebooted

Started by Mark

Hi,

I like this program, and have used it for quite a while.

The problem that I'm having with increasing regularity is that a scan never finishes and the program cannot be ended using any tool. The only way to clear the problem is to reboot the computer.
It does not happen every time (or I would have abandoned the program!), but it is happening more and more often. The max thread setting does not appear to work, and I have tried this on several computers with the same result.

Thanks!
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Scan never finishes, computer freezes and has to be rebooted   25 January 2015, 10:15

When the Task Manager is unable to terminate an application, there is usually an issue in a kernel driver and the application cannot be "killed" safely.

Network Scanner is a wholly user-mode application, while the symptoms indicate a deadlock or spinlock in an underlying driver. This could be an antivirus or a third-party firewall installed on these machines that cannot handle a large number of network packets Network Scanner generates.

I recommend to try it on a fresh Windows installation to see if the problem persists.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.