Incorrect MAC addresses for a different subnet

Started by sixpax

sixpax

Incorrect MAC addresses for a different subnet   02 February 2015, 14:30

Hi,
Recently my scans have started to show the same MAC address for my router instead of the individual MAC addresses. It also returns a line for each IP address in the scan range whether there is something associated with it or not. It is working correctly for my local subnet.

Any ideas on what I could look at to change on the router to get it to return the correct values again?

Thanks,
Brad
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Incorrect MAC addresses for a different subnet   02 February 2015, 17:06

sixpax

Recently my scans have started to show the same MAC address for my router instead of the individual MAC addresses.

Go to Options - Settings - Additional - Resolve MAC address. Tick and reorder the entries as:

1. Router MIB query
  2. NetBios query
  3. ARP query

It's not guaranteed to work, but should help. This is happening because when you are scanning a different subnet, the default gateway may respond to every ARP request with its own MAC address rather than the target device's address, thus misleading the Network Scanner.

sixpax

It also returns a line for each IP address in the scan range whether there is something associated with it or not.

If it appears that all IP addresses are detected as active, it's the same reason. Set the Ping Method to ICMP only.

P.S. Perhaps we should handle this automatically and not send any ARP requests outside the current subnet. I'll see if this can be implemented in the next release.
sixpax

Re: Incorrect MAC addresses for a different subnet   03 February 2015, 11:38

Hi Andrew,
Changing ping method to ICMP did the trick with the phantom responses thanks for that.

Reordering the MAC lookup initially didn't make any difference. Once I had cleared the ARP table on my laptop it has started to resolve some addresses correctly. I'm going to try clearing the ARP table on the router later today and let it rebuild and see how that goes.

Thanks for help.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.