Suggestion: FQDN instead of IP

Started by lingnau

lingnau

Suggestion: FQDN instead of IP   20 February 2015, 10:01

First of all, congratulations on such a great and useful software, it is amazing and I use it daily (professionally and at home)

But I have a suggestion related to the behavior of the Right Click > Open Computer action.
On most networks where DNS is setup correctly, netscan shows the FQDN on the "Host Name" tab. But right clicking and Opening the Computer "As Web (HTTP)" connects to device via IP, not hostname or FQDN. From my point of view, if the device has a valid FQDN, why not use that? (Or make it a flag in the configuration "use FQDN"wink

Anyway, from my point of view it would be an enhancement.
Thanks for listening and again, congratulations for the great network tools you guys created.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Suggestion: FQDN instead of IP   20 February 2015, 14:00

Thanks, but we'll probably leave it the way it is.

You can setup a separate menu item to open a device by host name. Simply add it as a third-party application as shown below:

SoftPerfect support forum

Re: Suggestion: FQDN instead of IP   20 February 2015, 14:42

@lingnau

It is after all an IP scanning tool, so you are working with IP address. However Andrews work-around is really slick.

Just my 2 cents. -WS
lingnau

Re: Suggestion: FQDN instead of IP   20 February 2015, 19:27

Thanks for the prompt reply Andrew, that solution works for me. smile

WindowsStar

It is after all an IP scanning tool, so you are working with IP address. However Andrews work-around is really slick.
Just my 2 cents. -WS

It's called "network scanner" not "ip scanner". Just my 2 cents. But I agree the solution provided by Andrew is slick.

If you where scanning using IPv6 would you also love to have IP addresses instead of names?

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.