Network Scanner hangs after a while

Started by toodles

Network Scanner hangs after a while   07 January 2007, 06:39

First, let me thank you for this great piece of software. It's pretty much exactly what I was looking for and seems to be very well made. However, it seems to lock up after 3 hours or so and stops responding to any inputs.

Running Network Scanner v3.0 on a fresh and fully patched XP Pro SP2 install. No anti-virus, firewall or other 3rd party networking stuff, no 3rd party background processes, no spyware or other ressource hogs.

Stopping and restarting the scan periodically will not help, but closing and restarting Network Scanner altogether will prevent lock-ups. When the app hangs, the whole TCP/IP stack seems to be affected and new sockets can't be opened.

Any ideas what could be causing this or anything I could do to help diagnose the issue?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Network Scanner hangs after a while   07 January 2007, 15:13

I think there are some issues in the current version as other users also reported similar problems. We really want to resolve them, but still don't have enough information. So, to begin with, what exact settings are you using? If you can, export the whole HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SoftPerfect\Network Scanner registry key and post here (attach it to your message).

Network Scanner hangs after a while   07 January 2007, 16:02

Thanks for your reply.

For what it's worth, v2.6 did exactly the same for me, on the machine I was talking about and a different machine also running XP SP2.

Of course I know nothing about the inner workings of the app, but the problem reminds me of a memory leak. Here's what I witnessed a few hours ago (only thing running besides Network Scanner was CPU Idle):

-Network Scanner had been running for 2-3 hrs
-Tried to open a few of the shares it found and NS told me "Operating system has denied access to..." as soon as I clicked them for all of them, scan was still running at that point
-A few seconds later some "Could not start thread" messages popped up, number of active threads in the status bar went down accordingly
-Closed a few of these popups and got an access violation error ("Access violation at address 00424F13 in module 'netscan.exe'. Read of address 01F6FF64."wink
-More "Could not start thread" messages, closed them, another access violation
-Tried to save a screenshot in MS Paint, but found the Programs folder of the start menu to be completely empty (not enough memory to display the shortcuts?)
-Tried to start Taskmgr via a desktop shortcut and the Run box, but only got a "not enough quotesquestion" error message
-Clicked through Network Scanners error messages and tried to salvage the scan results but only got a "Unable to save c:\results.htm: I/O error 1816" message box
-At that point the status bar said 9 active threads, but the list only showed one
-Tried to close the Network Scanner window, but due to the runaway threads it would only sit at "Terminating..."
-Had to do a hardware reset

Registry file is attached to this post.
Attachments:
open | download – ns.zip (769 bytes)

Network Scanner hangs after a while   07 January 2007, 18:19

Thank you for the detailed report. You are absolutely right, the new features first introduced in v3.0 caused a serious memory leak. We've just located and fixed it as of v3.0 build 123, please re-download it. If you find any similar issues in this version, please report immediately.

Network Scanner hangs after a while   07 January 2007, 18:33

Trying the new version now.

Network Scanner hangs after a while   08 January 2007, 06:48

Good news. NetScan has been running for ~9 hrs and it's still working fine. smile
Will keep testing, but it looks like it's fixed. Great work.

Network Scanner hangs after a while   10 January 2007, 17:11

Thanks for letting us know smile By the way, we've just released the network scanner v3.1. New features are list loading and validating, remote shutdown and Wake-On-LAN, it is available in the download section.

Network Scanner hangs after a while   11 January 2007, 04:24

List validation, excellent! That's the one thing I was going to ask about, but I guess I won't have to now. smile
I made an effort to keep Network Scanner running for as long as possible, but build 123 has been working flawlessly for me.

Btw, you may want to update the version number on the download page.

Again, great work.

Network Scanner hangs after a while   12 January 2007, 00:23

Done

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.