Suggestion: extend the reading time of pop-up information

Started by WindowsStar

Suggestion: extend the reading time of pop-up information   19 February 2016, 02:32

Andrew,

Good Morning.

I have a suggestion for the pop-up information in the scan information line. Sometimes there is an error or more information when you hover the mouse over a section in that line. Normally the information is fairly short and you can read it or it if it is a bit longer the pop-up goes away and then you hover over it again and read the rest before it goes a way. Today however I had a line that crossed all 4 of my monitors and no mater how many times I re-hovered it I could not read it fast enough or get to the end without forgetting where I was.

Would you change it so that you can hover it and it will stay on the screen forever, or better yet set it if you press the Shift or Ctrl key or Mouse button and hover it stay up until you release the key.

Attached sample.

Many Thanks -WS
Attachments:
open | download – NetScan612PopMessage1a.png (21.1 KB)
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Suggestion: extend the reading time of pop-up information   19 February 2016, 11:39

This is indeed a good suggestion. I wasn't able to have the popup displayed as long as a key is pressed because it's controlled by a system timer.

I did however increase the display time to 10 seconds and made it multi-line, so it should now be easier to read. Available for downloading here.

SoftPerfect support forum

Re: Suggestion: extend the reading time of pop-up information   19 February 2016, 14:27

Thank you I will give it a try. -WS

Re: Suggestion: extend the reading time of pop-up information   20 February 2016, 01:43

Andrew,

Fantastic!!! This is perfect! Works very well. Thank you so much.

Note: I may have found one tiny bug. I have the "HTML Page Title" column and for some reason the pop-up wil not pop-up all the time and when it does it truncates the last part of the information. All the other columns work fine.

Screenshot should show a complete IP address.

Thanks -WS
Attachments:
open | download – NetScan612aPopMessage1a.png (24.2 KB)

Re: Suggestion: extend the reading time of pop-up information   20 February 2016, 08:35

What's the complete text in that column? I think it's possible when the value almost fits a column. Shrinking the column may help.

Re: Suggestion: extend the reading time of pop-up information   20 February 2016, 09:02

Should be the complete IP address 10.32.32.109. laugh

Re: Suggestion: extend the reading time of pop-up information   21 February 2016, 13:46

I cannot seem to get the column to show the rest of the information in the pop-up no matter what I do. Do you think the content is messing up the display? I see & and ; and such. I know when I do some programming sometimes I would have issues with programming symbols being displayed because the program had a hard time telling if it was part of the program. Just a thought. Thanks -WS

Re: Suggestion: extend the reading time of pop-up information   21 February 2016, 17:22

That probably happens because some control characters (with ASCII codes <32) are present in the HTML. I have done a couple of fixes to strip any control characters and to handle UTF-8 and UTF-16 server responses correctly. Try this build and let me know how it works.

Re: Suggestion: extend the reading time of pop-up information   23 February 2016, 01:25

Andrew,

I appreciate all the work you have done on this. The update didn't seem to fix it. Not that you need to spend a ton of time on this just wanted to note it because you fixed the pop-up to work so much better. I thank you very much.

I will do more testing if needed if you feel the need to track it down more.

I have another tweak I would put in a new thread.

Thanks -WS

Re: Suggestion: extend the reading time of pop-up information   25 February 2016, 04:18

Andrew,

Good Morning,

I noticed today that the hover over the TCP/IP ports does display the information.

Thanks -WS

Update: Exit and re-launching the application fixed the issue. (Unknown why it happened).
Attachments:
open | download – NetScan612aPopMessage2.png (2.3 KB)
open | download – NetScan612aPopMessage3.png (4.2 KB)

Re: Suggestion: extend the reading time of pop-up information   25 February 2016, 08:50

I guess that's fine if it only occurs occasionally. Unfortunately I can't track it down if it's not reliably reproducible.

Re: Suggestion: extend the reading time of pop-up information   25 February 2016, 13:58

I will keep an eye on it. I may have figure out the HTML one. I noticed that if I hover an item that has ... after it but only one or two characters are missing it will NOT pop-up. If I move column over a bit I can see the last two characters or if I move it back a bit and cannot see say four letters then it does the pop-up. Maybe the HTML area is getting messed up because of the periods in the IP address???

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.