Suggestion: add checkbox "Ping network addresses (i.e. x.x.x.0)"

Started by WindowsStar

Suggestion: add checkbox "Ping network addresses (i.e. x.x.x.0)"   23 February 2016, 01:44

Andrew,

I use the CIDR scanning a lot and one of the things I noticed is; it will scan the entire range which is exactly what it is supposed to do. However I typically do not want to scan the Network Address. The reason this would be nice is that when I ping/scan the x.x.x.0 address and am looking up a lot of information the scan gets stuck on this one address and sometimes never finishes unless I stop the scan and then maybe have to force stop the scan.

In the options you have a checkbox for "Ping broadcast addresses (i.e. x.x.x.255)". I would like to ask if you would add a checkbox "Ping Network Addresses (i.e. x.x.x.0)". This way even though the x.x.x.0 and the x.x.x.255 are listed they don't get pinged or get scanned.

Thank you -WS
Attachments:
open | download – NetScan612bNetworkAddress1.png (42 KB)
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Suggestion: add checkbox "Ping network addresses (i.e. x.x.x.0)"   23 February 2016, 08:25

The Ping broadcast addresses option exists historically, but there's really no point to add a separate one for a zero-ending address.

You can simply use the Options > Ignored IP Addresses feature:

SoftPerfect support forum

Re: Suggestion: add checkbox "Ping network addresses (i.e. x.x.x.0)"   24 February 2016, 06:19

Andrew,

Thanks, great idea, and I understand are saying no need for it especially if all networks are /24 or /16, however since I am using CIDR on (/23 /24 /25 /26 /27 /28) the network address is not always .0 sometimes it is x.x.x.64 or x.x.x.96 etc. depending on the network. I was hoping the check box would look at the CIDR information and ignore the network magically. laugh

Thanks for a quick reply. -WS

Re: Suggestion: add checkbox "Ping network addresses (i.e. x.x.x.0)"   29 February 2016, 16:49

Andrew,

The above is not working well.

Example: I have to add *.*.*.32 for a /28 network but then later when I scan a /24 network I am skipping the .32 address on that /24 network. I have to go remove the *.*.*.32 and if I forget then I am missing one address or in my case lots of addresses on /25 /26 /27 /28 networks with all the added exceptions. ... then on a /23 network it skips the *.*.*.0 that is not the network address.

I think the check box is a better way for the CIDR to work because it will know the network address based on the /xx.

Maybe there is a better way or you have a better way to accommodate this.

Many Thanks. -WS

Re: Suggestion: add checkbox "Ping network addresses (i.e. x.x.x.0)"   29 February 2016, 17:29

I guess the question is how to calculate those. Let's assume we scan a random range of 1.2.3.4-5.6.7.8. As this is a range, we cannot reliably determine the network address and the broadcast address (NA and BA), right?

In a local subnet, it's pretty easy to extract this information from a network adapter's settings. Say, if our computer's address 192.168.0.50 and the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, we can calculate NA and BA for the current subnet.

Likewise, when you scan a CIDR range, say 192.168.0.0/24, we can also easily calculate NA and BA from the given values.

So it boils down to two questions:
  1. Which is the correct way? Calculating NA and BA from the local adapter's settings or from the range to scan?
  2. If we use the range to scan, how to deal with a completely random range like 1.2.3.4-5.6.7.8?
What do you think?

Re: Suggestion: add checkbox "Ping network addresses (i.e. x.x.x.0)"   01 March 2016, 11:35

Hummm,

I wasn't talking using this setting for ranges because you are right you cannot figure out what the network is. But....

Doesn't the software know network and broadcast because of the CIDR notation?

Example:

Enter: 10.32.8.9 /24 and it (the software) knows the range is 10.32.8.0 to 10.32.8.255 network is the first the last is the broadcast.
Enter: 10.32.4.89 /27 and it (the software) knows the range is 10.32.4.64 to 10.32.4.95 network is the first and the last is the broadcast.
Enter: 10.32.20.189 /26 and it (the software) knows the range is 10.32.20.128 to 10.32.20.191 network is the first and the last is the broadcast.

So having the check box to ignore the network would make them NOT scan for the above examples.

With that if you use an IP range then the software ignores the setting to ignore the network, in other words it only works for CIDR.

Is that correct? Or I am missing something.

Thanks again. -WS

Re: Suggestion: add checkbox "Ping network addresses (i.e. x.x.x.0)"   02 March 2016, 10:06

I took the liberty to combine the two options into one, as typically a user wants to ignore both. I hope that's sensible and works well. The new build is here.
  • If given a CIDR notation, the app calculates NA and BA from that IP address and mask.
  • If given a range notation, the app calculates NA and BA from local adapters IP settings.

SoftPerfect support forum

Re: Suggestion: add checkbox "Ping network addresses (i.e. x.x.x.0)"   02 March 2016, 15:14

Andrew,

That is a sensible solution. I will give it a try and let you know.

Thank you once again! -WS

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.