Comparing scan results between sessions

Started by juhanjuku

Comparing scan results between sessions   24 February 2016, 01:06

I'm using your scanner as my main network discovery tool. It's great, but I'm missing scanning history. I need to know what IPs are gone offline since last week scan. I know, it can be done in Live Display mode, but then scanner must be running all the time.
For that reason I still must use additionally LookAtLan scanner, which shows offline IPs with red icon and online IPs with green. It also shows on every scan what new IPs are found and what IPs are gone offline. If your scanner could show IPs status same way it would be perfect tool for me.
Attachments:
open | download – LookAtLan1.jpg (78.7 KB)
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Comparing scan results between sessions   24 February 2016, 10:29

For this specific task there is way to do it with our Network Scanner too, provided you saved the result from the last week:
  1. Load the scan done last week saved to an XML file.
  2. Choose Actions - Rescan All Displayed Computers from the main menu.
  3. You can also then choose Actions - Rescan Previously Undiscovered Computers to reveal any new computers.
Having said that, I think it could be a good addition to our Scanner, if there is a way to compare two XML files and highlight any differences between the two. I will post here when it's been implemented.

Re: Comparing scan results between sessions   25 February 2016, 04:00

Thank's for quick answer.
I tried your suggestions, quite may clicks. I must do two scans to have complete overview:
2. I load saved file (clear the currently displayed report), Rescan all computers listed in file - to see disappeared IP's
3. I load saved file, Rescan previously undiscovered computers - to see new computers.

I still think ideal would be on every scan to see difference with last scan (automatically saved), new IP's in bold, disappeared IP's in grey
or at least add option to Reascan all computers to see new and disappeared IP's with one scan in Rescan/validate dialog.

Re: Comparing scan results between sessions   25 February 2016, 16:41

Added in this build. See under Actions in the main menu.

This version also adds a scan comparison tool:

SoftPerfect support forum

Re: Comparing scan results between sessions   26 February 2016, 04:42

Thank you, almost perfect.
Just missing automatic save when program closes to get immediate network overview on next program start without manual save and load.
Really good work. I don't need LookAtLan anymore.

Re: Comparing scan results between sessions   26 February 2016, 09:12

Check File - Recent Files - Auto Load/Save to Most Recent File in the main menu wink

Re: Comparing scan results between sessions   27 February 2016, 02:46

Wow, I'm speechless.
Now it's perfect for my needs!

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.