SoftPerfect Network Scanner

Threading issues in latest versions

Started by WindowsStar

Threading issues in latest versions   02 April 2016, 02:22

Andrew,

We have noticed since around version 6.1.1 or so and up to 6.1.4 that the threads never seem to finish in the scan. If you press the Force Stop nothing happens the program just hangs until you end it with Task Manager. I have used the software long enough that I have seen this before especially when the workstation has been powered on for more than a month without rebooting, or if you run a lot of scans eventually NetScan will have issues requiring a reboot. Just seems to be worse lately.

Details: In the past I would scan with 500 threads on a 16Gb workstation and have no issues {for weeks, then reboot}. I am now on a 32Gb workstation with only 200 threads and having issues. {reboot everyday}.
Other Tests: Fresh boot and a fresh scan from many different workstations {Windows 7 and Windows 10} it seems the threads never finish.

Wondering if there was a tweak to the code somewhere in 6.1.1 to 6.1.4 range that may have affected this?

As always thank you -WS
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Threading issues in latest versions   02 April 2016, 10:32

I can't say definitely, it could be a change or a coincidence, yet here's what we can do.

I have uploaded the last ~90 builds of NetScan from their respective SVN revisions. I suggest you try the newest one and the oldest one. If the issue is present in the newest revision, but not the oldest one, try one in the middle. If that one is affected too, try one in the middle between it and the latest, and so on. This way you can track down which revision broke it and let me know.

Re: Threading issues in latest versions   04 April 2016, 03:18

Thank you. I will do that might take me some time I have to work this in around my normal work schedule. -WS
Steve Hull

Re: Threading issues in latest versions   18 October 2016, 07:25

I'm having the same problem, using version 6.1.9 (64-bit). There are always 2 threads that never finish scanning. Sometimes, there is a 3d thread that runs for a long time but eventually finishes. I only started having the problem after upgrading from Windows 7 to 10 (same PC, same version of Network Scanner).
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Threading issues in latest versions   18 October 2016, 10:20

Try unticking the Scan for shared resources option. If it works and finishes scanning, it's likely to be a bug in Windows or underlying driver.

If that's the case, could you try launching this (from the same computer where you ran Network Scanner) in a command prompt:

net view \\x.x.x.x

Where x.x.x.x is the IP address whose scan never finishes. Then based on the list of returned shared folders, with each one of them try the following statement where <share> is the shared folder's name from the above commands.

dir \\x.x.x.x\<share>\*

The dir command may hang at one of them, which will confirm it's a Windows bug. If not, please share your observations about these tests.
Steve Hull

Re: Threading issues in latest versions   21 October 2016, 01:35

Thanks for the suggestions. Disabling the option to retrieve all the Shared info got me past the hang forever situation. I identified one of the IP addresses causing problems and ran Net View on it. Net View returned a System Error 53, which I tracked down to a mis-configured WINS server address in a statically configured workstation (I didn't think we had any statically configured workstations, so this was a bonus). After fixing the IP configuration, I kept getting "access denied" but finally figured out that someone had changed the admin password on that PC. Hmmm, statically configured PCs with unknown admin logins... wonder what I'll find next?
Xavier

Re: Threading issues in latest versions   24 October 2016, 09:50

That's the beauty of Softperfect Net Scanner : makes you find all sorts of stuff in your network wink

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.