Friendly name somehow 'moved' to a wrong device

Started by Emil

Hi
I'm not sure if it's a bug or I'm doing something wrong. The friendly name of one device somehow became identical to the host name of another device.
How can I use the host name instead of a friendly name in WOL manager? I don't understand where the program retrieves friendly names from.
Thanks
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: Friendly name somehow 'moved' to a wrong device   07 June 2020, 10:14

Device host name is retrieved from each device automatically, while the friendly name is assigned to it manually. The friendly names feature allows network administrators to assign custom names to devices, to aid device identification and be user-friendly (hence they are called 'friendly').

If a device has a friendly name, this means that you (or someone else using the same NetScanner) added it. In your case, it appears that the host name was copied to the friendly name, which is not really achieving anything.

A friendly name can be linked to IP addresses, MAC addresses, or host names. My best guess that in your case it was linked to the IP addresses. Some of the IPs have changed over time, and that's why you are now seeing the names that belong to a different device.

To add, remove and edit friendly names, simply go to menu Options - Friendly Names / Comments...
Thank you!
Is it possible to bind the IP address to the WOL manager's host and display it in the WOL manager instead the friendly name?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: Friendly name somehow 'moved' to a wrong device   07 June 2020, 10:25

IP addresses are dynamic in nature. If you assign an IP address to a WOL entry, it may soon become invalid due to that IP address used by some other device. If however your IP addresses are static, you can simply enter the IP addresses as friendly names, if that's what you want to see.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.