How to see how long there has been no response from an inactive device

Started by r1993r

How to see how long there has been no response from an inactive device   06 August 2020, 02:52

We mainly use ping sweep to help us identify reserved IPs that are no longer active, mainly as a result of devices being moved, upgraded etc, and no one telling us. We would like to ping a range/scope for say 8 weeks, and remove devices we get no reply from, leaving us with reserved IPs that are no longer needed, so we can then release them from reservation an re-use it. Is there any function for being able to see how long an IP has been inactive for?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: How to see how long there has been no response from an inactive device   06 August 2020, 12:16

There no built-in fictionality for this, but I guess we could add some kind of Network History tool. It would list MAC addresses, IP addresses, how many times they were seen and when they were seen last. More statistics and details could be added later to this tool. Does this sound like what you are looking for?

Re: How to see how long there has been no response from an inactive device   06 August 2020, 17:48

Yes, that would be fantastic! Being able to see when an IP was last seen active allows us then to consolidate unused IPs and release them from reservation. You can never have too much info!

Thanks

Re: How to see how long there has been no response from an inactive device   07 August 2020, 01:46

I've found that this is currently sort of possible. Going through the settings I was able to turn on viewing of inactive devices and Last Scan does display how long it has been offline. Would be nice to make this more prominent, perhaps the ability to change the font colour?
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: How to see how long there has been no response from an inactive device   07 August 2020, 10:58

Sure, that may be a way to do it. You can fully customise the font and background, even conditionally. Here is a sample of what it can look like:

SoftPerfect support forum

Re: How to see how long there has been no response from an inactive device   07 August 2020, 18:50

Cheers for that... that will work nicely!

I have requested some quotes, but seen nothing yet. I'll chase this up via Contact Us.
Network history sounds great too.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.