Export, edit and import of CSV files

Started by Jeff

Jeff

Export, edit and import of CSV files   25 August 2021, 13:44

I did export to CSV, which created the file, then I made some changes, and then tried to import it back. The software asked, do I want to replace the current file, and I said yes. And then it said it can't read the first item in the CSV that I just saved and erased the 65 sites I just entered. In my particular case, it said it could not read the named range.

All those sites were added in the program. I selected "Export", it created a CSV Excel sheet. I made one change to a range and saved again, and tried to load and got the error. Not sure what I did wrong. As far as I can see, I did nothing wrong. I edited the range in the exported version and the error was in the name of the very first entry.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: Export, edit and import of CSV files   25 August 2021, 13:46

It can be frustrating, but it probably was something in your edits that made the file unreadable, or something that MS Excel messed up. It is generally better to use a plain-text editor like Notepad for simple text files like CSV.

Obviously when you import a file, the current data are cleared and then the file is loaded into that space. Pure Export-Import without modifications should always work.

If you still have the problematic file, please send us a copy and we will check it out. If it is a bug in our software, the file will help to fix it. Otherwise, it may enable us to give a specific advice on what was wrong with that file.
Jeff

Re: Export, edit and import of CSV files   25 August 2021, 13:47

Here is the file that the export created:
[IPscanranges.csv]
SoftPerfect Support forum - Ann avatar image
Ann

Re: Export, edit and import of CSV files   25 August 2021, 14:16

Thank you, we have checked the file and found the following issue:
When exporting data to a CSV file, bookmark names are quoted, so the file looked like this: "Some long name",192.168.56.0-192.168.56.255
However after editing it in MS Excel, the quotes have been stripped and it became like this: Some long name,192.168.56.0-192.168.56.255
While this is still valid CSV, our implementation considered unquoted spaces as separators thus failing the import.

We have just updated the software so that it allows importing CSV files with unquoted fields. You can simply download the new build and then import the file again.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.