Exporting a list of MAC/IP addresses with friendly names assigned

Started by R18E

Is there a possibility to export a list (.txt) with all Mac/IP-addresses that have a friendly name assigned?

Feature requests for the "Friendly hostnames" dialogue box:
- possibility to sort by column
- possibility to mark and copy several/all posts.
- a button "Export list"

Best regards,
Raimund
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Exporting a list of MAC/IP addresses with friendly names assigned   21 October 2009, 16:52

Copy/paste/sort operations have been added and will appear shortly in the new release.
Hi,

I just tried your scanner and really like it. The one downside is that I just spent 30 minutes adding friendly names for about 50 hosts, and after a restart all were lost. Well, I had entered 2 through the Options menu (as opposed to F2 on the host in the grid), and those 2 entries got saved. So it would seem that the entries made via the Options menu persisted somehow (perhaps registry), while those made more quickly, via F2/right-click in the grid, were lost. Not sure if this is intention (doesn't seem like it would be).

There has to be a better default with respect to saving data like that. As a developer myself, my suggestion is to always lean on the side of being over cautious, or at least warn that there is useful (dirty) data that has been set and not saved. The config concepts of the app are not immediately intuitive so it is easy for someone to experience a loss like this - and the cirtical time of trying the product for the first time.

Just my 2 cents.

Other than that experience, I really like the product and would gladly pay for it.

Steve
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Exporting a list of MAC/IP addresses with friendly names assigned   05 March 2015, 15:33

I am sorry to hear that you've lost your input.

Like in many other applications all data are saved when the application is closed. There shouldn't have been any difference between entering the names via F2 or via the Friendly Names dialog.

I suppose the restart happened without the application being properly closed?
Hi Andrew,

I closed the app normally.

I am wondering if there is an odd special-case bug where you start off, with a fresh install as I did, then start entering 1 (or 2) of the entries via the Options Menu and then do the rest via F2 and then exit the app, and somehow the items are not saved (dirty flag logic). I am just taking a guess as I have not tried to replicate this pattern on another machine. Since then I have learned how to export the list of MAC address and FriendlyNames, just to be safe.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Sometimes you can get the answer faster if you try the forum search and/or have a look at the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.