Large memory tested?

Started by thanatos2k

Large memory tested?   02 July 2011, 05:11

How much testing has been done on systems with more than 12GB of physical RAM and using RAM Disks of larger than 4GB? The reason I ask is I recently upgraded my i7 rig from 12gb to 24gb of memory, and increased the size of my RAM Disk from 4GB to 6GB. I tried to use a 12gb disk with image copies to my Vertex 3 SSD RAID, but the app would just hang.

So the question is, what are the largest sizes of physical RAM and RAM disks that you guys have tested? If you haven't done anything this large, is there any way I can facilitate that?

Also wanted to note, problem persists across my "vanilla" Win7 install and my "normal" Win7 install. And I've run MemTest86+ several cycles to ensure the memory is good and accessible.

Thanks for the awesome product by the way, it is the last tool I needed to eliminate disk bottlenecks on my system (and for anyone reasing this, yes, even on a 2GB/sec RAID there are bottlenecks that RAM Disk completely eliminates! Just buy your copy, you'll be glad you did. laugh)

Edit: Whoa, my post was at 1/1/11 at 11:11. Wierd...
VD

Large memory tested?   02 July 2011, 09:27

> I tried to use a 12gb disk with image copies to my Vertex 3 SSD RAID, but the app would just hang.

This is known problem related to file-based disks, and it is in the process of being fixed.

Large memory tested?   02 July 2011, 10:46

Sounds good.

What about using a 8gb RAM Disk with 24gb of total RAM, but not backing it up to file? Is that configuration tested?
VD

Large memory tested?   02 July 2011, 15:03

> What about using a 8gb RAM Disk with 24gb of total RAM, but not backing it up to file? Is that configuration tested?

Yes, this should work.

Large memory tested?   03 August 2011, 14:23

Was this fixed in 3.2.1? There is an entry in the changelog that mentions a system hang, so I was hoping that was it.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Large memory tested?   03 August 2011, 15:36

It seems to have been fixed, but unfortunately we don't have a system with a large amount of RAM on hand.

Does it work for you now? I recommend to try a boot-time RAM disk rather than logon-time one, if possible (choose Disk - Add Boot Disk from the main menu).
Pete

Large memory tested?   11 April 2012, 04:34

I can verify that this software works with a 220 GB RAM drive on a 32 core system with 256 GB of physical RAM. For obvious reasons, we are not setting it to save anything to a disk image.

Large memory tested?   11 April 2012, 04:40

I can confirm that the app does work to copy contents for 32gb + disks. I've tested 33GB, 40GB, and 56GB all of which copy without incident. They will take quite a long time if you're copying to a hard disk though, and the app may appear to hang during that time but it is still working in the background. Copying to SSD is much quicker although if you reboot your machine a lot that could eat up your write cycles quickly if your SSD is MLC.
Richard B.

Large memory tested?   14 April 2012, 06:12

Maybe a progress bar could be displayed while copying RAMDisk to disk, so the user has some feedback that the process hasn't stalled/hung.

Sometimes you can get the answer faster if you try the forum search and/or have a look at the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.