RAMdisk and Shadow Copies

Started by Erik

RAMdisk and Shadow Copies   25 October 2012, 00:51

Hi.

When SoftPerfects RAMdisk is installed on a Windows server 2008 R2 Sp1 and a RAMdisk with NTFS file system is activated it messes with "Shadow Copies". Since the backup use "Shadow Coppies" there are several errors in the Aplication Eventlog each time the backup runs. Se example below. The backup seems to be running without errors but still windows logs this event.

The cause of this is probably related to the error that can be found on the the "Shadow Copies" tab in "Local Disk Properies" witch with a NTFS RAMdisk say:
"Failed to retrive volumes that are eligible for shadow copies.
Error 0x8004230f: The shadow copy provider had an unexpected error while trying to process the specified operation"

The tab (and Backup without errors in eventlog) works fine as long as there are no RAMdisks with NTFS filesystem.

What can be done to make "Shadow Copies" to work like normal?

Best regards
//Erik

Aplication Eventlog Error:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine IVssAsrWriterBackup::GetAsrMetadata.  hr = 0x80070001,. 

Operation:
   PrepareForBackup event

Context:
   Execution Context: ASR Writer
   Execution Context: Writer
   Writer Class Id: {be000cbe-11fe-4426-9c58-531aa6355fc4}
   Writer Name: ASR Writer
   Writer Instance ID: {56543ce9-2dc5-4912-b00a-d1289082e22a}

Error-specific details:
   ASR Writer: Incorrect function. (0x80070001) Incorrect function.

Aplication Eventlog Warning:

Volume Shadow Copy Service warning: ASR writer Error 0x80070001.  hr = 0x00000000, The operation completed successfully.

Operation:
   PrepareForBackup event

Context:
   Execution Context: ASR Writer
   Execution Context: Writer
   Writer Class Id: {be000cbe-11fe-4426-9c58-531aa6355fc4}
   Writer Name: ASR Writer
   Writer Instance ID: {56543ce9-2dc5-4912-b00a-d1289082e22a}

Error-specific details:
   ASR Writer: Incorrect function. (0x80070001)
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

RAMdisk and Shadow Copies   26 October 2012, 11:48

It's by design. The current implementation of the RAM disk does not support Volume Shadow Copy.

Backing it up with Volume Shadow Copy is not supported. It however can be backed up with regular file copying.

I think you can safely ignore these errors. Hopefully we can add Volume Shadow Copy support in the near future.

RAMdisk and Shadow Copies   27 October 2012, 00:09

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the reply.

But I do not agree that it can be by design that I cannot manage Volume Shadow Copy on other disks but get an error there when having an active a NTFS RAMdisk. (FAT32 seems ok)

I am just fine with RAMdisk not supporting Volume Shadow Service since I do not have the need to backup anything at the RAMdisk, at leas not with VSS. After all the most common use probably is some kind of temporary file. That is my case anyway.

Still I cannot accept errors in the eventlog from a "By design". Ram disk should handle VSS in a manner that it simply says this RAMdisk volume does not support Volume Shadow Copy even when an NTFS file system is chosen. Not crashing the GUI for handling other disks.

The second problem this presents it self in is a chain reaction due to that i monitor the eventlogs and get a message each time something is wrong. This means that the eventlog must be "clean" from Errors and warnings or I get bombarded with messages. When backup runs (or I try to manage the Volume Shadow Copy on another disk) even if the RAMdisk is not part of the backup set it results in an handfull of errors in the application log. I guess i get an error (and a warning) for each of my other disks the backup (or my management) i trying to to access.

Its hard work keeping evenlog clean from errors but believe me that one is much more likely to have a stable server when one does not Ignore any Errors from the eventlog.

SoftPerfects RAMdisk seems to be a really nice product. I can understand if not all kinds of strange different usage variants can be supported but the product should not mess up existing standard functions in windows and not produce errors in eventlog for normal usage when nothing is wrong.

Hope this can be fixed.

Best regards
//Erik

RAMdisk and Shadow Copies   30 October 2012, 19:44

Hi,

After numerous backups I have to correct the fact that windows still writes an error (and a warning) in the eventlog for every logical volume when backup is made even with a FAT32 RAMdisk. (Still excluding the RAMdisk from backup)

Best regards
//Erik

RAMdisk and Shadow Copies   04 November 2012, 21:47

Hi Erik,

Thanks for the additional info. This issue will be fixed in the upcoming release.

Andrew.

RAMdisk and Shadow Copies   05 November 2012, 21:23

That's great news!!!

Any ETA for the next release?

Thanks
//Erik

RAMdisk and Shadow Copies   06 November 2012, 23:28

Should be a week or two. Stay tuned smile

RAMdisk and Shadow Copies   20 November 2012, 02:22

Any news on the next release?!?

Best regards
//Erik

RAMdisk and Shadow Copies   21 November 2012, 10:22

Hi Erik, I realise it's taking longer then we first planned, but we're working on it. Hopefully it's one more week away smile

RAMdisk and Shadow Copies   18 January 2013, 23:47

I guess the weeks are running away?!?
Any new ETA on next release?

Hopefully
//Erik
tomicjr

RAMdisk and Shadow Copies   31 January 2013, 11:55

I too am experiencing this issue. Using Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery, and many errors in the System Application Event log.

Running 3.3.3 64-bit. Any update on timeframe / version when this will be resolved?

Thank You!

RAMdisk and Shadow Copies   08 February 2013, 17:11

Wish I could get it stopped without a restart or have it getting along in win8pro so the recImg would work.

It produces Event red exclamations when the win8/win7 backup with image runs.... seems ok with file history runs though. seems ok with easeUs Todo free backup making image.

Filter Manager event id 3
Filter Manager failed to attach to volume '\Device\HarddiskVolume12'. This volume will be unavailable for filtering until a reboot. The final status was 0xC03A001C.

4 identical errors, except volume number s 6,8,10 and 12
AndrewL

RAMdisk and Shadow Copies   04 May 2013, 00:18

Hi,
Is there any news on Volume Shadow Support?

For me it would be very useful to have some sort of on-the-fly backup to mitigate potential data loss from a crash.

For my application its important be able to backup large video files ( ~1GB ) that are slowly written to the RAMDISK one frame at a time over many minutes. Unfortunately, VSS is the only method I know that can backup a file as it is still being written.

I also have considered using the AutoSave functionality included with RAMDISK, but this is less ideal because ideally I would like to only write the deltas with each backup, not the entire RAMDISK.

Hoping for VSS support soon.

Thank you!
Andy
VD

RAMdisk and Shadow Copies   04 May 2013, 22:07

> Is there any news on Volume Shadow Support?

It is expected in the upcoming version.

> I also have considered using the AutoSave functionality included with RAMDISK, but this is less ideal because ideally I would like to only write the deltas with each backup, not the entire RAMDISK.

Autosave feature supports differential flush in the latest release.

RAMdisk and Shadow Copies   12 May 2013, 15:10

VSS should now work fine if you enable Hard Disk Drive emulation when creating a RAM disk in this new release.
Ghent

RAMdisk and Shadow Copies   20 May 2013, 10:40

I am running Windows 8 and using RecImgManager for my backups. After I installed the 3.4er Beta release I still get the Error: "IVssAsrWriterBackup::GetAsrMetadata", hr = 0x80070001 when I backup my Windows drive.
Whether FAT32 nor NTFS nor the HDD Compatibility mode works.

Best regards,
Ghent
VD

RAMdisk and Shadow Copies   21 May 2013, 03:00

Did you uninstall previous version of RAM Disk before installing this beta? What is "HDD Compatibility mode"? Did you mean "Hard disk emulation mode"? Was it turned on for the RAM disk during backup? It should be turned on as only this mode can work correctly with VSS.
AqD

RAMdisk and Shadow Copies   05 June 2013, 03:21

Hello!

I got a similar problem and confirmed it:

Windows Server 2012 + RAMdisk NTFS => volume shadow fails (both of system recovery and backup)
Windows Server 2012 + RAMdisk FAT32 => volume shadow works (both of system recovery and backup)

As long as I use FAT32, it works perfectly!
VD

RAMdisk and Shadow Copies   05 June 2013, 05:16

Please try new version 3.4 beta with HDD emulation mode option.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can get the answer faster if you try the forum search and/or have a look at the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.