Windows Backup error if any RAMdisks are not mounted as removable media

Started by bubba

If any of the SoftPerfect RAMdisks are not configured to "mount as removable" I get this error when trying to use Windows Backup to do a system image:

Windows Backup
Windows could not find backup devices on this computer. The following information might explain why this problem occurred:
(0x81000036)

If I change the RAMdisk back to "mount as removable" the C-drive image backup goes fine.
VD

Windows Backup error if any RAMdisks are not mounted as removable media.   05 November 2012, 08:10

This error refers to the Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) and will be fixed in future releases.
THANK YOU X 1000! I have been banging my head against the wall for several weeks trying to find out why my system image backup suddenly failed and gave me an error message. Works like a charm once I make my RAMdisk removable. Thanks again ! ! !
Very good tip. I couldn't figure out why windows backup failed. Mounting ramdisk as removable fixedt it.
I just stumbled upon this entry, because I got this very same error (and same solution) using SoftPerfect RAMDisk 3.4.3 under Windows 8.1 Update 1 - 2.5 years later...
PS. Same in the current 3.4.6 (the update procedure is a bit cumbersome btw).
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Windows Backup error (0x81000036) if any RAMdisks are not mounted as removable media   21 June 2015, 19:36

You need to ether mount the RAM disk as removable or turn the Hard Disk Emulation option.
Thank you for the tips. It helps a lot

Sometimes you can get the answer faster if you try the forum search and/or have a look at the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.