BSOD sometimes at startup Win7 64 Bit

Started by John

John

BSOD sometimes at startup Win7 64 Bit   17 November 2012, 19:30

Hi,

I installed the latest version 3.2.2 on Win7 64 Ultimate and get often a BSOD at boot - but only if an image has to be loaded at boot. I use the same image file for Win 7 32 and Win 7 64. Can this be a reason? I checked if it makes a difference if the disk is set to NTFS or FAT32. But the probleme is sadly the same. This problem does not happen with Win 7 32.

There is no dump even if it is switched on in the system. I just get the BSOD Stop:0x000000F4 (and here many addresses). Sometimes I get in the Event Log:

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Please Help,

John
John

3.2.2 - BSOD Sometimes at Startup Win7 64 Bit   18 November 2012, 03:05

Did some more testing. It does not depend if the file in Win 7 64 was created in Win 7 32. The BSOD does not occur allways but most of the time. The only way out is to rename the image file that should be loaded (in Save Mode - take a different extension) so that it cannot be loaded anymore.

Please try to fix this problem. The software is great and has great performance. But sadly with this problem I cannot use it with Win 7 64.

Best Regards,

John
VD

3.2.2 - BSOD Sometimes at Startup Win7 64 Bit   18 November 2012, 09:44

What size have you specified for the image file?
John

3.2.2 - BSOD Sometimes at Startup Win7 64 Bit   18 November 2012, 12:56

The image file was created as 240 MB RAM disk what results in a 256.004 KB image file.

It is a pretty clean Win 7 64 SP1 Ultimate with 8 GB memory. Only special thing is that INTEL RAID 0 is active. But this has been used with Win XP, Win 7 32 and Win 7 64 for years without any problems.

I do not have the problem with the same image file and Win 7 32 (at least it never occurred so far). Sometimes it works in Win 7 64 too (with the same RAM disk and settings) but mostly not. There is a 2nd RAM disk active with this software. This does not get saved and so there is no problem with it.

Please help. I have checked out many other ram disks but this one is the fasted I could find. And it is easy to do the settings. To me it would be important to have a RAM disk where I can access the same data from the Win 7 32 and Win 7 64 system by using the same image and it should be possible to put the image not on drive C (a system restore would always reset the RAM disk data otherwise). So all those things seem to be fulfilled with the software. The only thing what I am missing is to use in an 32 Bit environment the the memory beyond 4GB. But okay, for this I can use a different software.

Best Regards,

John
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

3.2.2 - BSOD Sometimes at Startup Win7 64 Bit   18 November 2012, 16:36

Hi John,

Thank you for the additional details. Could you please do the following?

1. Download and install this special debug build.

2. Enable the kernel memory dump as explained here.

See under To Configure Your Computer for a Complete Memory Dump or for a Kernel Memory Dump and enable Kernel memory dump.

3. Take a screen shot of the main RAM disk Window so that I can see the exact parameters of the RAM disk.

4. Restart the system. Then once a crash occurs, please send me the MEMORY.DMP file (compress it and upload to a file sharing service) and the screenshot taken in step 3.

Thank you.
John

3.2.2 - BSOD Sometimes at Startup Win7 64 Bit   19 November 2012, 02:38

Hi Andrew,

I have some things to report. First I installed the debug version and switched to kernel dump. Then I changed the extension of the old RAM Disk image back to svi so that it could get loaded again. Same BSOD crash as before. The colorful balls move around, the colorful Microsoft sign appears and then shortly before the blue WELCOME screen would come the crash happens again. There is no dump.

The RAM disk is empty - only the $RECYCLE.BIN and the System Volume Information folder are on it. But now something strange. The RAM disk has the drive letter Z. I changed the drive letter to Y. The settings and the image file are the same and until now I could not get a crash. I booted several times and so far no problem. But as soon as I set it back to Z I get the crash.

With drive letter Y the software window shows Y: NTFS P D:\Softperfect Drive Z RAM Disk.svi. It is not set to mount as removable.

I do not understand what the drive letter could cause. But all my RAM disks that I tested with different software and used had the drive letter Z. Just for your understanding - the reason for Z is that I have many external drives with many partitions. Normally they are offline but not always, And then the other drive letters will be used. But back to the problem.

I just deleted the old RAM disk software and the hidden devices (drives) I guess belonged to it. It is still the same - your software does not like the drive letter Z. Does this make any sense to you?

I can do every test if you want and change the registry or whatever. I have a backup so no problems. So please let me know what I can do.

Best Regards,

John

3.2.2 - BSOD Sometimes at Startup Win7 64 Bit   19 November 2012, 23:28

It's actually quite strange that it crashes with Z:\ and does not with any other letter.

Unfortunately, there isn't much we can do without a kernel dump. Here is a list of things to check that could have prevented the system from creating a dump file:

1. Pagefile must be enabled.
2. Page file must reside on the system volume, e.g. C:\pagefile.sys
3. Page file must be of a sufficient size. I recommend to set System-managed size.

Also, could you please run this tool and save its report to an ARN file? We need to see what other software and/or drives may be causing a conflict.
john

3.2.2 - BSOD Sometimes at Startup Win7 64 Bit   20 November 2012, 02:44

I did all the settings for a dump but there is no dump. And normally my system creates a dump. But what I found out now is that an image file is not important for the problem. I set an existing RAM disk without image file to drive letter Z and I have the same problem. But this time I could not change the extension of the image file to not readable to make the OS working again. The only thing that helped in this case was to uninstall the software in safe mode - normal mode was not bootable anymore.

I downloaded the tool you mentioned but have to save the file with the results somewhere. Will look for it but I doubt it will help.

On the other hand - I tested so many RAM Disk software with the drive letter Z - there was no problem. I never had a BSOD in many years with all my OS - just created yesterday one to check if the dump works.. So what makes drive letter Z so special?
John

3.2.2 - BSOD Sometimes at Startup Win7 64 Bit   20 November 2012, 14:50

Hi Andrew,

Was thinking the whole night why this problem with the letter Z and why no dump. The BSOD looks strange. There are no drivers and only BSOD Stop:0x000000F4. I found that this means:

0x000000F4: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION One of the many processes or threads crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated. As a result, the system can no longer function.

This can happen so quick that the system cannot write a dump anymore. Often there is no entry of the crash in the event log. Then I found this hotfix at Microsoft so that the system will create a dump file even without page file. But I have the correct settings for a dump and a system created page file as I wrote before - and I tested it and it worked with a faulty driver of a different software - but lets check out this hotfix.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2716542

Will try later and let you know the results.

But just do sum up the problem again:

There is no problem in Win 7 32 SP1 but only in Win 7 64 SP1. The problem is independent of a RAM disk image file. It just happens at drive letter Z.

John
VD

3.2.2 - BSOD Sometimes at Startup Win7 64 Bit   20 November 2012, 22:48

Can you attach your memory dump and the list of modules that are running on your 7 x64 system? Without such information it's pretty hard to identify and fix the problem. Also think about drive Z: - which applications can use or access it for any purposes?
John

3.2.2 - BSOD Sometimes at Startup Win7 64 Bit   21 November 2012, 03:34

As bad as it can get:X

What happened now is hard to believe. Because I made many tests with other RAM disk software after I installed Softperfect RAM Disk I re-einstalled a system backup that I created after I installed Softperfect and not the other RAM disk software. I started the OS and crash again. I de-installed the software in safe mode then. The system could boot again. Next I installed the 449043_intl_x64_zip Hotfix so that you can even get a dump file without page file. Then I installed the debug version of your software and created a RAM disk with the drive letter Z. Restart and no problem. Next I loaded an old image file as RAM disk drive Z. Restart and no problem. At this point I do not know anymore if this image was created in Win 7 32 or in Win 7 64. The original problem occurred the first time after I loaded a Win 7 32 image into Win 7 64 (drive letter was Z). But I do not want to repeat all those many steps again because at this time I did a lot of performance testing too.

Honestly I spent many hours with this problem. Sorry for creating problems for you. But for me this all seems to be just like a bad joke. For me this was a RAM disk the very hard way laugh

New problem is that at your software Networx suddenly the icon does not show up anymore in the tray - I have been using it for a long time without any problems. But this is a different story and I am still hopeful to fix it - I know how to reset them in the registry. What I am missing at Networx is a way to put the data file on a - yes - RAM disk. Now it is just in the folder of the software and this creates problems if you switch between Win 7 32 and Win 7 64 and so between different Networx versions in different folders.

3.2.2 - BSOD Sometimes at Startup Win7 64 Bit   21 November 2012, 10:20

Hi John,

Thank you for your feedback. So can we now consider the issue solved?

As to NetWorx and putting its data file in a custom location, it can be done easily. Go go the hidden settings and change the Database location parameter.

Andrew
John

3.2.2 - BSOD Sometimes at Startup Win7 64 Bit   21 November 2012, 13:06

Thank you all for your support and the great software. At the moment I am gladly not in the position to reproduce the problem. Since I stopped all the performance testing and other tests I might not get back to it. So please consider it as solved.

But anyhow - apart from the great RAM disk I found a way how to change the path at NetWorx, I found a way how to create a dump without page-file and I found the Autoruns tool that you recommended in this thread. So not everything is lost smile

Best Regards,

John
Joe

3.2.3 - BSOD Sometimes at Startup Win7 64 Bit   30 January 2013, 01:42

The exact same problem still exists under x64 and in v3.3.3.
Zeebie

3.2.3 - BSOD Sometimes at Startup Win7 64 Bit   06 February 2013, 01:18

Hello,

Sorry to piggy back of this thread. I have been having a similar issue to john. I am running version 3.3.3

The system seems to BSOD on when ever i try to load a second ramdisk. (I have a 12gb and a 38gb ram disk, yes i am aware this is 50gb. I have 8x8gb sticks in case you are wondering).

At first i thought it might of been faulty ram and spent ages testing them, but they are all clear. I ended up having to boot in safe mode and remove the disks in order to boot normally. I tried recreating the second disk at a smaller size of 12gb. How ever the same issue occurs but now only randomly. I have two Dump files, but they are 1.23gb insize and my upload speed is not the best. I am wondering if this issue i am experiencing may be to do with the extreme sizes of the disks?

Regards
Zeebie
Markku

BSOD Sometimes at Startup Win7 64 Bit   07 April 2013, 21:32

Yet another confirmation of this issue (and another one, too).

Version 3.3.3, on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit with latest patches, Asus G75VX, 16GB of RAM.
I created a boot-time ramdisk of 4GB size, made it to have drive letter R:, with the idea of having Eclipse workspace and database on it. Save period was set to 10 minutes.

Initial performance testing (with crystaldiskmark) already gave some random hiccups (file being written was already locked by another process, while the only process apparently active was that crystaldiskmark). (I was using settings 5 runs and 100MB.)

First reboot ended in a BSOD, though the blue screen disappeared in less than a second. After that, startups behaved ok, but I was still getting random problems with those locking issues. For example, project compilations/builds failed due to randomly getting write problems, and reason always being that "another process having partial lock" (I can not remember the exact words). Failure rate of a full build was about 10%-20%.

This is not acceptable on a work situation (well, I wouldn't accept that on my home computer either), so I installed another ramdisk with another software as drive S:, copied all data from R: to S:, and started testing that new S: drive. Several runs of crystaldiskmark, large compilations, etc. all going through without single issue. So, it seemed the issue is not my hardware (which I have tested quite well before installing any ramdisk stuff) or other software.

I then adjusted the old R:-drive to T:-drive, in preparation to switch that new S: to take the R:'s place...

... and oh boy was I close to have to reinstall everything on the work machine. 4 next reboots (cold or warm) failed. Tens of seconds the startup goes apparently normally (loading the large ramdisk, which takes order of 40 seconds when it succeeded before), but then it BSODs/reboots. One time the process halted on the BSOD, two times I never saw a blink of blue as it simply rebooted itself, and one time I got a blink of blue. I tried windows recovery, but that was a dead end probably due to the HDD being encrypted (it claimed the MBR was corrupted - it is really just fine). I have to admit that I didn't try everything possible via the recovery options (like having drivers...), but I was afraid of the "automatic" side of that recovery to cause more problems than actually fixing things.

I tried a normal startup one more time, and luckily got through. Naturally, the first thing I did was to delete the whole SoftPerfect's ramdrive and disable the ramdrive to start automatically with windows.

Having switched the new S: to be R:, several reboots later, many compilations, running full database test battery, etc., relying on the other software ramdisk only, everything has worked smooth.

Unfortunately for SoftPerfect, I can not help more on finding the bug, other than perhaps provide more hardware/software/setup info. As mentioned, it is my work laptop, and I can not risk the machine to get into a state which would need a reinstall. That is, in its current version, SoftPerfect ramdisk is too risky to even try without having a separate test machine to play with, and we don't have such test machine or the time to test.
hainegen

BSOD Sometimes at Startup Win7 64 Bit   06 August 2014, 03:53

same issue occurs,Win 7 64 SP1 Ultimate with 8 GB memory,
ramdisk version 3.4.5,
ramdisk size=2GB,
type=volume,boot ram disk,
img filename=SoftPerfect.img,

everyday the first poweron boot will be blue screen then auto reboot,I can't see the errcode on screen.

when use superspeed ramdisk plus on win7 x86 system ,I never meet this question.
hainegen

BSOD Sometimes at Startup Win7 64 Bit   06 August 2014, 03:58

otherwise, when use passmark burnin test to test the ramdisk, it have two problem,one is serious,one is warning
hainegen

BSOD Sometimes at Startup Win7 64 Bit   06 August 2014, 04:02

and, I clear the box "save content to image ",but every reboot,new files and content saved in the ramdisk laugh
my english is poor
hainegen

BSOD Sometimes at Startup Win7 64 Bit   06 August 2014, 19:39

The computer have two Hard disk, the image file "softperfect.img" saved in last partition of second hard disk.
ramdisk size=2GB=2048MB
howard

Re: BSOD sometimes at startup Win7 64 Bit   25 September 2014, 16:05

Similar problem - BSOD on first reboot when using RAMDisk on Windows Server 2012 64-bit. I disabled automatic restart on system failure, and was able to see the error message. The error shown was "Kernel_Security_Check_Failure". A second reboot attempt went through fine. I didn't enable "Hard Disk Emulation" for the RAMDisk.

Re: BSOD sometimes at startup Win7 64 Bit   25 September 2014, 16:37

There isn't much we can do without a memory dump. First, please make sure you are using the latest version of the product. If it still crashes, if possible, could you please do the following:
  1. Enable the kernel memory dump (a minidump is not sufficient).
  2. Restart the system. Then once a crash occurs, please send us the MEMORY.DMP file (compress it and upload to a file sharing service).

Re: BSOD sometimes at startup Win7 64 Bit   14 January 2015, 02:47

Hello, I have the same problems at the start.
I installed SoftPerfect RAM Disk 3.4.6 today, and when I re-booted, there was immediately a blue screen.
After trying to boot 3 times and having blue screens immediately, I went to Safe Modus and made it Restore Point to its previous setting to solve the boot problem.

After this, the RAM Disk would still autostart with Windows at the background, but without any disks inside, just like a fresh install.
But after each boot, a popup window appears on the desktop with the text: "Initialisation of VVLIB failed".

Then, I re-installed Ramdisk (first cleared the old maps and files) WITHOUT creating a disk, and Windows booted normally. But when I created a disk, then after a boot the BSOD problem was back.

There are NO dumpfiles for this crash date, only older dump files. There is a big memory.dmp file, but it is equally old as the small memory dump files.
So there is NO kernel dump file created (I cheeked out the system and it was enabled!), I have only a screenshot of the BSOD.

I think this problem cannot be solved... sad

System: Win 7 Professional SP1 64 bit and 8G RAM.
Attachments:
open | download – BSOD 13-01-2015 b.jpg (97.3 KB)

Re: BSOD sometimes at startup Win7 64 Bit   14 January 2015, 12:35

This could also happen if you have a Symantec product, or possibly other software that doesn't correctly work with standalone volumes (which a default RAM disk is) and that crashes the system.

As a workaround, please try creating a RAM disk with the Hard Disk Emulation mode turned on.

Re: BSOD sometimes at startup Win7 64 Bit   14 January 2015, 15:39

John, try to disable windows pagefile, reboot windows several times and answer - BSOD present or not. I wrote about BSOD issue earlier in the forum.

Re: BSOD sometimes at startup Win7 64 Bit   17 January 2015, 12:23

Hi Andrew, I have no Symantec products installed, and I have followed your advise to put Hard Disk Emulation mode turned on.
It works now, no more BSOD!

Thanks!
BrainCrash

Re: BSOD sometimes at startup Win7 64 Bit   20 June 2015, 04:38

I've had the same BSOD problem as topicstarter, but without using a disk-image.

I was installing RAMdisk as part of a complete system re-install, so it's a fresh OS installation, with limited other software present at this moment. No virusscanners or any other thorough system-modifying software present yet.

I'm using v3.4.6 of RAMDisk, on Win7 Pro. 64bit SP1.
Right after installation of the ramdrive, the system started giving BSOD's on a regular basis during system bootup. (but not always.. i had to reboot a few times to get it to start correctly).
Same behaviour as described above: STOP: 0x000000F4 during bootup, without a dump-file written.
Removal of the ramdisk software fixed the BSOD's.

I now re-installed it and used the "Harddisk Emulation Mode" while adding a (boot-time)disk, and so far, no BSOD's yet! (also set to FAT32, but that probably doesn't matter)
So using the HDD Emulation seems to fix it!!, though i'm still wondering what caused the exact problem.

Further system info:
Asus P7P55D-E mainboard, Intel Core i7-870 (first generation i7)
12GB of DDR3-RAM
one Crucial SSD connected for OS install, no other harddisks or SSD's yet connected (still setting up my system as part of the fresh install)
Using a 2GB RamDisk assigned to the R: drive letter
System Paging file set to modified size: 2048 initial, 8192 max.

Re: BSOD sometimes at startup Win7 64 Bit   21 June 2015, 21:39

Unfortunately there isn't much we can do without a dump file, but generally it indicates that some other drivers don't like the presence of a standalone volume, without a fully emulated hard drive. In this case I recommend to have the Hard Drive Emulation option on or set the Removable flag.
BrainCrash

Re: BSOD sometimes at startup Win7 64 Bit   23 June 2015, 08:19

Thanx Andrew, for the reply.

I indeed used the Harddrive Emulation mode, as you advised earlier in this thread, and that seems to prevent the BSOD from happening.

I have one question though:
I've read somewhere that the Harddrive emulation mode would make the ramdisk slower in some way... What exactly is meant by this? In what way is it slower?
I did some read/write speedtests in both modes, with and without emulation on, but I didn't see any significant difference in read or write speeds.

Are there any other downsides to using the Harddrive emulation mode?

Re: BSOD sometimes at startup Win7 64 Bit   23 June 2015, 10:33

There are no drawbacks of using the Hard Disk Drive mode, but it may be a bit slower due to an extra layer of code that actually emulates a hard disk drive and partitions. It looks like the speed reduction is negligible though, may be less than 5%, so feel free to use it this way wink

Sometimes you can get the answer faster if you try the forum search and/or have a look at the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.