Interaction with Intel Smart Response?

Started by Chris

Chris

Interaction with Intel Smart Response?   11 December 2012, 21:25

I recently upgraded my rig to enjoy a lot of the recent technologies, one of which being ssd caching (I went with a relatively small disk, just enough for the 64 Gb cap). I also decided to get 32 Gb of ram because it really didn't add much cost, so the logical thing to do is play around with gaming on a ramdisk.

Obviously with ssd caching I don't necessarily NEED to use a ramdisk as that technology seems to be working very well for me, but I do however want to use ramdisks because they do still provide a performance boost and because I can.

So my direct question is, will it try to cache all of the data from the disk images onto my solid state drive? Taking into consideration I will likely be using images that range from 8 to 20 Gbs of data, that would be a large amount of data to keep in the cache, considering normally only the most frequently used blocks would be stored in cache otherwise (much less than the entire install directory). My primary conscern in this question is the longevity of my drive if I choose to install my games exclusively on ramdisk images and change games often.

The source of my confusion and hope that they are not cached is a statement in the second to last paragraph on the last page in the middle column of http://download.intel.com/design/flash/nand/325554.pdf which states

"The cache policy also differentiates
between high-value data (application,
user, and boot data) and low-value data
like that which may be related to a virus
scanner or other similar one-touch data.
This type of data typically does not benefit
from caching, and therefore is not inserted
into the cache. Purely sequential data
streams (example, streaming a movie file
from disk, or large file copies) may bypass
the cache, since these often consist of a
large amount of one-touch data unlikely
to benefit from caching."

Considering they would be large file copies, however, they may be done frequently and they would be accessed through an application.

I understand this is likely a difficult question and may be beyond the scope of the forum and I apologize if that is the case.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Interaction with Intel Smart Response?   12 December 2012, 10:41

The RAM disk itself does not attempt to cache anything.

It's merely an in-memory storage that works as follows:

1. If you choose a volatile RAM disk, that is the one without an attached image file, there is no reading or writing to your hard disk at all. This RAM disk is created empty at when the system starts and is removed when the system shuts down.

2. If you choose a persistent RAM disk, it basically means that it will be populated from an image file. The software allocated an appropriate amount of RAM and then the whole image file is read sequentially with its content copied to the allocated RAM space

3. The image files not written back to the hard disk unless you have chosen "Save contents to image". Even if this option is turned on, only changed parts of the image will be written back to the hard disk.

Hope this helps.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.