Create a ramdisk upon demand

Started by Rob

Rob

Create a ramdisk upon demand   17 January 2013, 10:44

Is there a way to have a permanent ramdisk which does not get automatically created at system start or user login?

Motivation:

I work with certain files every couple of weeks or so. I would like to create a ramdisk for those files and have the contents automatically saved at system shutdown. Since I do not work with the files daily, I do not want the ramdisk to be automatically created each time I start the system (which is daily). I want to create it on a as-needed-basis.

I don't see how this is possible because as soon as you assoicate an image file with the ram disk, it is automatically created.
Ali Malik Gürbüz

Create a ramdisk upon demand   12 March 2013, 00:41

I am looking for the same option. Some of the screenshots have RAMDISKS labeled as, Mount on log on etc, but there is no documentation i could found about how to creating them.

I want to use ramdisks with images, but i just want them to be mounted when i want. not everytime my pc boots. ( I dont play that game everytime i use my pc for example) . And it may prevent creating more than 1 Ramdisk at a time. If all load at the same time, not enought ram!
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Create a ramdisk upon demand   13 March 2013, 11:39

There are two RAM disk types available.

1) Disks created and mounted when the system starts. Those are created via Disk - Add Boot Disk.

2) Disks created and mounted when a user logs on. Those are created via Disk - Add Disk.

Now if you want to have an on-demand disk, create the latter via Disk - Add Disk.

This disk remembers its mount state. If you click Unmount the disk will be dismounted, but will stay in the list of disks. After a restart it won't be mounted until you click Mount.

This is how you can mount/unmount a disk on demand without having to delete it.
Ali Malik Gürbüz

Create a ramdisk upon demand   14 March 2013, 06:12

Strange thing is, i found the same solution myself when trying options. And when i check back to write it here, i saw your post.

So its partially user fault wink

But i still think this method should be mentioned in help. Or the feature of the disk that "it remembers" its state.

Thank you for your help.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.