Auto restart in windows logo (Windows 7 64bit)

Started by Ching-Yao Chen

Ching-Yao Chen

Auto restart in windows logo (Windows 7 64bit)   15 April 2013, 13:49

my computer
Intel i5-2500
Kingston 16g (8g for ramdisk)
GA-H77-D3H (BIOS F11)
Micron Crucial m4 SSD 128GB
Power Seventeam 550W
Windows 7 pure or SP1
Softperfect Ramdisk 3.3.3.0
Avira Free Antivirus

I use softperfect ramdisk in WD 1T HDD for a while even it update to 3.3.3.0 never shutdown by itself.
but I buy Micron Crucial m4 SSD 128GB, PC auto restart when Windows logo show up, and Windows repair come.
There's no BSOD in this event.
I can put pagefile.sys 1024-4096 and Temp and Firefox cache, WinRAR, 7zip...etc in HDD.

ramdisk set 8G, R: NTFS, no image
Firefox cache, WinRAR, 7zip

pagefile.sys 1024-4096 in SSD
Temp in SSD
still auto restart

I don't know something different between HDD and SSD, I'm a SSD noob.

Please Help me, thank you.
This looks very similar to my problem.

I switched out a CDROM drive for a DVD drive. Also replaced the CMOS battery.
Windows 8 64-bit said it needed to repair.
It went through many checks and reboots, and said no automatic repair is possible.
I checked the SrtTrail.txt file in an advanced options > command prompt window.
"Root cause found: Unspecified changes to system configuration might have caused the problem".

I noticed that the automatic repair had loaded about 1GB of Program Files & Windows file to my RAM drive. (Same drive letter X: that I normaslly use for the RAM drive).

Question: Is the Windows Repair unsuccessful because a restart causes those file to be lost each time?
If so, I need to disable SoftPerfect RAM Disk from the command prompt.
I tried renaming the directory that the program is in - no change.
So it is loading from somewhere else? Where? Under c:\users perhaps?
Jay

Re: auto restart in windows logo(Windows 7 64bit)   03 November 2013, 04:26

I have some similar problems. When I shut down and then restart my Windows 7 64 bit, the computer gets to the windows logo and then restarts automatically and comes up with the dos prompt to repair or start normally saying windows did not shut down properly.

I select start normally and windows loads properly. This doesn't happen all the time but does happen often enough. Not sure if it's definitely Ram disk. Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks,
jonson

Re: auto restart in windows logo(Windows 7 64bit)   09 January 2014, 23:32

Ross

This looks very similar to my problem.

I switched out a CDROM drive for a DVD drive. Also replaced the CMOS battery.
Windows 8 64-bit said it needed to repair.
It went through many checks and reboots, and said no automatic repair is possible.
I checked the SrtTrail.txt file in an advanced options > command prompt window.
"Root cause found: Unspecified changes to system configuration might have caused the problem".

I noticed that the automatic repair had loaded about 1GB of Program Files & Windows file to my RAM drive. (Same drive letter X: that I normaslly use for the RAM drive).

Question: Is the Windows Repair unsuccessful because a restart causes those file to be lost each time?
If so, I need to disable SoftPerfect RAM Disk from the command prompt.
I tried renaming the directory that the program is in - no change.
So it is loading from somewhere else? Where? Under c:\users perhaps?

boot in safe mode. Press F8 while boot. Then uninstall the ramdisk. System then start normal.

Got the same problem on win 7 x64 . Every 5th restart BSOD. Therefore i uninstall the ramdisk and use the AMD Radeon Ramdisk instead while softperfect fix this.
Good to have found this thread. I have the same or similar problem. I wasn't sure if it was the Ramdisk or not, but it sounds like it is. I'll have to experiment.

Windows 7 x64, clean install some days ago, new SSD (Samsung 840 EVO). I'm using the ramdisk as a browser cache for Firefox, as well as for system and user temp folders/files. No ramdisk image, just a couple of temp folders created with the softperfect program.

Everything seems to work fine, but sometimes the operating system won't boot properly - it gets to the Windows logo, just after my w-fi and external hard drive kick in, and then the screen goes blank and the boot sequence starts again. Next I get the repair screen, Windows works through its analyses, and says it can't repair the problem (it also asks if I want to use a restore point, but I have declined that, as I want to fix this problem directly). The computer then shuts down and when I restart it boots fine... Oh, the repair utility suggests that the root cause of the problem is a recently installed driver...

So... I thought it might have something to do with the Link Shell Extension I recently installed, but it sounds like it's the softperfect ramdisk. I have it installed on boot; I'm going to try to install on 'logon', though I don't actually have to log on manually. Maybe that will make a difference... I'll report back.

jonson

....Got the same problem on win 7 x64 . Every 5th restart BSOD. Therefore i uninstall the ramdisk and use the AMD Radeon Ramdisk instead while softperfect fix this.

hmm, 'every 5th restart'. I wonder if it could have to do with something scheduled in the task manager, something different every 5th restart?...
I replaced my ramdisk that installed on boot to one that installs at logon. I think that fixed the problem. I've shutdown and restarted a number of times and haven't had any problems. Knock on wood. The only other thing I did - which might be related to the problem - is I moved the Samsung Magician (for SSD) start-up application from my roaming user startup folder to the all users startup folder. I think I might've unwittingly moved that from the all users to the personal at one point. Reason I mention it is because I read another thread or two where people were having an issue with Samsung Magician and the Softperfect Ramdisk software, but I believe that was with an older version of SP ramdisk and that it was fixed...

One other thing that might've been related to the problem is the use of ramdisk as the windows temp folder and/or as the temporary folder for \softwaredistribution\downloads. It's possible some driver or file - something needed by Windows after a restart - wasn't there since my ramdisk is volatile, no saved image. I noticed that, when I did a Windows update and needed to restart, one of the updates wouldn't install. Apparently Windows Update saved a file/s to \softwaredistribution\downloads - which is pointed to my ramdisk using a Link Shell Extension-based symbolic link - so after the restart, that file or files would've been gone, yet Windows Update needed them to install the particular update. It was only one of the updates among many... Anyway, conceptually the same thing might've happened when installing other things, maybe even the softperfect ramdisk software itself, and then caused the un-bootable situation...

So if you have the un-bootable problem, try loading ramdisk on logon instead of at boot first. Then make sure you haven't installed any apps or drivers that needed a restart and failed to load something that was saved to a volatile ramdisk. Maybe make sure Samsung Magician is loading properly if you're using a Samsung SSD...
It's been about 10 days since I changed the Softperfect ramdisk loading from 'load on boot' to 'load on logon'. I haven't had a problem with Windows 7 starting since I made the change...
jhonydowy

Re: Auto restart in windows logo (Windows 7 64bit)   21 January 2015, 20:14

almost a year later and the problem still exists, i got blue screen on first restart after installing this software, seems to be persistent with win 7 x 64 , anyway choosing to start normally didn't fix it, i had to use last known good configuration and then right when i uninstalled it and restarted no more problems.
also one wierd thing is that it made my sound card non existent for windows, and i could hear a buzz sound into my headphones.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Auto restart in windows logo (Windows 7 64bit)   21 January 2015, 20:53

It's been a year because this issue is not reproducible and is likely to be caused by a third-party driver.

Possible workarounds include creating a different RAM disk type (e.g. boot-time rather than logon-time or vice versa) and creating a RAM disk with the Hard Disk Emulation option turned on.

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.