Unable to save Microsoft Office 2013 files on RAMDisk anymore

Started by lokicfb

Unable to save Microsoft Office 2013 files on RAMDisk anymore   27 September 2016, 23:02

Hello experts,

maybe you are having an idea, what might be the cause for this and know or can point me to the solution.

Windows 10 (German) - RAM Disk 3.7.4 (64 bit)
I am having Microsoft 2013 (German) on an Windows 10 Laptop (German - Hardware Laptop) installed.
Am having 16 GB RAM and gave RAM Disk 4 GB. I am using NTFS for my RAM Disk and simulate a HDD.

When I want to save a Microsoft Office Document, like Word, Excel, etc. on the RAM Drive, I am getting an error message, Office is unable to save the file. Of course I am able to save the file, on the disk drive.

As I am able to save a picture, done from Paint Program, on the same path in RAM disk, I guess, there must be a setting or security function active, that blocks me, from saving the file.
I am able to copy Word, Excel files to the RAM Disk, I am able to open them, but I am unable to save them. When I do so, I am getting, for example from Excel, a dialog box, that informs me "... Error when save the file. Removing or repairing some features, Microsoft Excel might save the file. Click on continue, to start the repair into a new file. Click cancel to interrupt the file saving process ...".
The message is in german, so not sure, if a screenshot will help ...

Some months/weeks ago, I was able to write the Office files, to the RAM Disk, so it might be a issue with RAM Disk, as I installed some months/weeks ago the latest version, or a patch/security setting inside office, is blocking it. I tried to uninstall RAM Disk and reinstall it, but this did not resolve the issue. Also using FAT32 is not solving it.

My temp variables are on default.

I was looking via Dr. Google for a solution, but haven't yet found something usefully.

Many thanks for your help.

Best regards,
Carlos
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Unable to save Microsoft Office 2013 files on RAMDisk anymore   28 September 2016, 06:46

I think it may be related to certain disk I/Os that are not fully implemented. Please see this topic: a user was unable to create VHDX files, though VHD files were created fine when Hard Disk Emulation was on.

What happens if you try the Hard Disk Emulation off?

Re: Unable to save Microsoft Office 2013 files on RAMDisk anymore   29 September 2016, 21:24

Hello Andrew,

Perfect!
Your hint works.

Many thanks for your help.

Best regards,
Carlos

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.