Samsung Magician 4.1 conflict with RAM Disk

Started by adrian

Samsung Magician 4.1 conflict with RAM Disk   27 July 2013, 06:04

Hi All!

Your RAM Disk software is great, but I have faced, that when it is running, Samsung Magician (utility for Samsung SSD drives) is crashing after logon. It goes crazy, it only shows in its logfile, that it has some problem when asking the drives in the machine about their SATA mode (windows 7 x64) - ("CSystemInterface::GetSataModeByDeviceID() IOCTL_MAGICIAN_GET_AHCI_CONTROLLER_SATA_MODE failed."). The log shows only the problem, when this SSD utility has checked all the real drives, so I think it crashes when it is trying to check the ramdisk drive. If I stop the RAMdisk and I restart the machine, everything is fine. Do you have any experience with this type of problem?

So far I have used SuperSpeed Ramdisk Plus, but after a reinstall I have decided to try out SoftPerfect.

By the way, is it normal that I cannot unmount the RAMdisk drive if there is a pagefile.sys on the RAMdisk? Even if I set in the settings, do not start up with windows, the RAMdisk is running after login and the pagefile.sys is on it.

Thanks
Adrian
VD

RE: Samsung Magician 4.1 conflict with RAM Disk   27 July 2013, 09:02

... Samsung Magician (utility for Samsung SSD drives) is crashing after logon.

Where can we download this software to check the problem?

... is it normal that I cannot unmount the RAMdisk drive if there is a pagefile.sys on the RAMdisk?

Yes, it is normal. Hard drive with pagefile located on it must stay available all the time.

... even if I set in the settings, do not start up with windows, the RAMdisk is running after login and the pagefile.sys is on it.

This is because of the RAM disk type. Boot-time disks are created independently (as opposed to logon-time ones).

Re: Samsung Magician 4.1 conflict with RAM Disk   27 July 2013, 17:56

Samsung Magician 4.1 can be downloaded here: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/samsungssd/downloads/Samsung_Magician_Setup_v41.zip
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Samsung Magician 4.1 conflict with RAM Disk   28 July 2013, 13:47

What version of the RAM disk are you using? If you are using the latest beta, are you creating the disk with Hard Disk Emulation or without it?

Re: Samsung Magician 4.1 conflict with RAM Disk   28 July 2013, 17:50

Version 3.3.3 64-bit. But if there is a beta with this emulation option, I will try it.

Re: Samsung Magician 4.1 conflict with RAM Disk   28 July 2013, 18:36

I have tried the beta version (downloaded from the first post in the beta forum thread). With the hard disk emulation Samsung Magician works fine, and all other software programs also see RAM disk as a drive.

However, Windows (win7 x64) cannot create pagefile.sys on it anymore, so it creates an 8GB pagefile on the SSD drive, which I wanted to avoid with using RAMdisk. It gives the following error: "Windows created a temporary paging file on your computer because of a problem that occurred with your paging file configuration when you started your computer. The total paging file size for all disk drives may be somewhat larger than the size you specified."

If I turn off the hard disk emulation, pagefile works fine, but Samsung Magician crashes...

As I see in the beta forum, others also experienced pagefile problems, I will read over the topics, maybe there is a solution for this problem.
Compstuff

Re: Samsung Magician 4.1 conflict with RAM Disk   11 September 2013, 04:35

Thanks for this post... I have been going crazy wondering why Magician stopped working... I haven't upgraded yet and I am wondering if all is stable and working with the current release.
Thanks

Re: Samsung Magician 4.1 conflict with RAM Disk   21 September 2013, 08:44

I tried out the new 3.4 version of SoftPerfect RAM Disk, and everything works fine now. I can put a pagefile.sys onto the RAMdisk, and Samsung Magician works also.

I don't know what exactly has been fixed, but thanks for solving the problem. smile
Cra0

Re: Samsung Magician 4.1 conflict with RAM Disk   07 November 2013, 15:44

I have the same issue. If I don't have harddisk emulation on, the samsung program crashes sad
JJ

Re: Samsung Magician 4.1 conflict with RAM Disk   12 November 2013, 23:46

I also have this same issue as the OP with Samsung Magician crashing on startup, however, using the latest version of RAMDisk 3.4.2 has not resolved it for me. Below is the Samsung error:
CSystemInterface::GetSataModeByDeviceID() IOCTL_MAGICIAN_GET_AHCI_CONTROLLER_SATA_MODE failed. Error code 87, Param: 00000000

For now, SoftPerfect RAMdisk wins hands down over anything else (great bit of software!) but it would be nice to be able to use Samsung Magician also, especially when it comes to applying SSD firmware updates smile
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Samsung Magician 4.1 conflict with RAM Disk   15 November 2013, 15:06

We have fixed the issue in version 3.4.3.
Please install the latest version from RAM Disk product page and let us know whether it helped.
JJ

Re: Samsung Magician 4.1 conflict with RAM Disk   23 November 2013, 20:02

I can confirm that the issue has now been resolved with the 3.4.3 update.
Thank you for your efforts, much appreciated! ok, yes, thumb up

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.