Walter

BSOD with RAM disk mounted on boot   04 September 2013, 19:43

Hi all,

as seen in subject, I get BSOD with RAM Disks that are mounted on boot

Few system details:
fresh installation of Win 7 x64
RAM Disk v3.4.0 64bit
16GB of RAM

I've tried to create RAM Disk with 2-4 GB in size, mounted on boot. Everything goes smooth with no errors.
However I get BSOD on windows start up.

I've done some more testing so at this point I can confirm that I get BSOD on startup only when I have RAM Disk mounted on boot.

There are no errors in event viewer regarding BSOD
RAM Disk mounted on logon doesn't have this issue.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

BSOD with RAM disk mounted on boot   05 September 2013, 10:19

Is there a crash memory dump available? Look for MEMORY.DMP in the Windows folder.
Walter

BSOD with RAM disk mounted on boot   05 September 2013, 17:37

Hi,

none that I can find

BSOD occurs on a part of windows boot when colorful parts of windows flag spin around and it's for a split of a second so I think it doesn't have time to make a dump.
I can't even read the error.
Walter

BSOD with RAM disk mounted on boot   10 September 2013, 18:10

Hi,

A week without any responses, I find it hard to believe that I'm the only one with this kind of a problem.

So, here are my conclusions regarding the issue:
System is stable if I make and load an image to RAMDisk and set it to save its content.

Since I have only SSD disks in my system, this doesn't reduce any amount of writes to them since all changes are saved eventually.

If I create volatile RAMDisk it has almost no other use except to hold browser temp files.

It is possible to move many other temp files even to this kind of a RAMDisk but that would make sense on „always on“ systems, not on a laptop which gets turned on/off few times a day.

Did anyone manage to successfully create a RAMDisk without image mounted and move most of temp folders (IE, WIN/User TEMP & TMP, cookies, Flash player and Media player temp files) to it without any issues?

Thank you,
Best regards,
Walter

BSOD with RAM disk mounted on boot   10 September 2013, 22:48

Well, there isn't much we can do without a dump, but here's a couple of thoughts/questions:

1. Does your system have a built-in video card that reserves some amount for RAM for itself?

2. Do you have a paging file enabled? If not, I recommend to turn it on make it at least 16 GB (same as the size of RAM) to see if the problem goes away.
Vadim

Re: BSOD with RAM disk mounted on boot   12 October 2013, 19:18

I'm having the same problem on version 3.4.0. (Win8 64, 8G or 2G of memory and accordingly 1G or 100M RAM disk. Integrated video - Intell).
BSOD does not occur immediately after the installation.
As a result, deleted system files (in system32).
With that, it can even occur during working.
At version 3.3.3 is no such problem.
Version 3.4.2 I have not had time to test.

Re: BSOD with RAM disk mounted on boot   13 October 2013, 16:43

Unfortunately there's not much we can do with this information. We need a kernel memory dump which needs to be tuned on as explained here, or even better try the latest version.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.