After upgrade from 3.3.3 to 3.4.0 one core 100% in use only when RamDisk connected

Started by harrydb

After upgrade from 3.3.3 to 3.4.0 one core 100% in use only when RamDisk connected   06 September 2013, 23:29

Hi,

after upgrading to version 3.4.0 of RAM Disk I noticed that one of my eight (logical) cpu cores is in use 100% ( / 8 ~ 12.5%) by the System process. It seems that a spin lock is triggered, see attached screen shot. As soon as I disconnect the drive in the RAM Disk manager cpu usage goes back down. This issue was not present in version 3.3.3. I also attached a screenshot with my settings. I am on Windows 7 professional SP1 64 bit.

Is this known/expected behavior for 3.4.0?

Regards,
Harry de Boer
Attachments:
open | download – rd-spinlock.png (66.9 KB)
open | download – rd-settings.png (90.2 KB)
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

After upgrade from 3.3.3 to 3.4.0 one core 100% in use only when Ram Disk connected   07 September 2013, 12:26

No, it seems to be an issue connected with TrueCrypt. What version of it are you using?

Also, how many encrypted volumes have you got, of what size and whether any are placed on the RAM disk?

After upgrade from 3.3.3 to 3.4.0 one core 100% in use only when Ram Disk connected   08 September 2013, 00:48

Thanks for the quick response! I am using version 7.1a of truecrypt (latest stable) with whole drive encryption (so pre-boot). There is one partition on the disk (C: ) that contains everything, including the image connected to the ramdisk. The ramdisk itself is just NTFS formatted, not encrypted. I'll try to create a ramdisk without an image attached a bit later to see if that makes a difference (not much time now). I'd be happy to help test more if needed.

By the way, is there a way to download the previous version?
VD

After upgrade from 3.3.3 to 3.4.0 one core 100% in use only when Ram Disk connected   08 September 2013, 08:27

harrydb

It seems that a spin lock is triggered.

Can you try to reproduce this issue once again? I'd like to see the stack for that thread, but it seems that you didn't set up symbols in Process Explorer so let's do this.
First, please download Debugging Tools and install it as standalone component.
Next, specify the path to the dbghelp.dll module (typically, it is located at \Program Files\Windows Kits\8.0\Debuggers\x64\dbghelp.dll) and the path to symbol files in Process Explorer's symbol options in "Configure Symbols" dialog box.
Then restart Process Explorer and use "Stack" button to view stack for the selected thread. Be patient, symbol loading process may take a while.

After upgrade from 3.3.3 to 3.4.0 one core 100% in use only when Ram Disk connected   09 September 2013, 21:32

Hmm, when I click on the 'stack' button it gives me "Unable to access thread" (as administrator). I guess because it is the System process? Attached is the same shot with symbols loaded. I did attached the stacks for the active threads from ramdisk and truecrypt. I'll try this on an other machine to come up with a step by step way to reproduce this.
Attachments:
open | download – rd-symbols.png (39 KB)
open | download – rd-stack-ramdisk.png (50.2 KB)
open | download – rd-stack-truecrypt.png (68.5 KB)

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.