Impossible to use the designated unit, swap-file has been created on the other drive

Started by RamDiskNovice

I have successfully installed RamDisk that worked well when first started. Afterwards I had to temporarily uninstall it.

Now, after having re-installed, I do all the steps needed to build the RAM disk with fixed size (40% of available RAM). The disk is created and is visible in Windows Explorer. However, the next reboot, I get the pop-up windows that informs me that it was not possible to use the designated unit, and the swap-file has been created in other drive. I am no longer able to use RamDisk sad

Help please ...
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Re: Impossible to use the designated unit, swap-file has been created on the other drive   23 September 2013, 10:52

1. Make sure you creating a boot-time RAM disk rather a logon-time.
2. Make you sure you do not tick the HDD emulation on that disk.
3. Better avoid placing the swap file on a RAM disk as this is a bad idea. If your system has lots of RAM, you can turn it off completely.
After several attempts - all identical, and several restarts, without a logical explanation RamDisk work again. But I do not know why ...
Why is it a bad idea to use RamDisk with swapfile? I'm using just for this. . . (I have a SSD). . .

Re: Impossible to use the designated unit, swap-file has been created on the other drive   24 September 2013, 09:27

Because by design the swap file is used by Windows to store RAM pages in it smile
It's like storing RAM in RAM. You can read more about it here.
Ok. . .
I'll do a bit of effort to read it because English is not my native language. I will try to understand to the best of my ability.
But if it is not correct to use RAM disk for the swap file, apart to use Ram disk for the cache of Chrome, IE or Firefox, what other use can you do?

Re: Impossible to use the designated unit, swap-file has been created on the other drive   26 September 2013, 10:26

For Windows temporary files, for example.
Programmers use it for building their apps for temporary files emitted by a compiler.
If you are a home user, then it's mainly page cache for web-browsers and Windows temporary files, that's probably it.

Reply to this topic

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Email:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.