Read errors during benchmarking

Started by Jim

Jim

Read errors during benchmarking   23 September 2013, 22:49

Hello,

I am switching from "another" ram disk product to this one as I read several reviews touting this one as very fast. The previous product I had worked well (reliable save on shutdown, stable). So far, I like this product quite a bit. It's got a couple more bells and whistles, but is for the most part equivalent.

I'm running 3.4.0 (x64) on the RTM/GA version of Windows Sever 2012 R2 (I'm an MSDN user so I already have it). I have a 4GB ram disk, setup to load image on startup, save contents to image, auto-save every 2880 minutes.

I have it set up mount as removable. I did this because I was having an issue with windows backup not seeing all my drives and some google-ing suggested that would work, and it did.

I do not have it set for Hard Disk Emulation. I formatted the image using FAT32.

I benchmarked the disk using ATTO first, and I got a read error (that sadly, I did not record). I did it twice and received it twice at roughly the same point in the test.

So, I figured... maybe it's just the tool. Let's try a different one. I benchmark the disk using Crystal DiskMark x64 (default settings) it stops in the same place each time and reports the following error:
---------------------------
DiskMarkX64
Read Error.
0x00000021:The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file.
OK

At this point I started trying to research it and thought I'd post something here. Figuring I should get the exact error I saw in ATTO, I tried it again. This time, two runs through and I couldn't reproduce it! ARGH!

So, one more sanity check of running DiskMark x64. This time, different error, and it happened a touch earlier in the tests.
DiskMarkX64
Write Error.
0x00000021:The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file.
OK

Have you guys done any tests on Windows Server 2012 R2 yet? If I'm the only one seeing them, I will try some of the easy stuff and report back (reboot and try again... memory diagnostic test... switch to hard disk emulation and retest... any other suggestions?)

Thanks!
-Jim
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Read errors during benchmarking   26 September 2013, 10:28

Thank you for the detailed report.
We have a couple of fixes related to the locking of a disk. I will post a test version shortly.
SoftPerfect Support forum - Andrew avatar image

Read errors during benchmarking   26 September 2013, 20:40

Please try the latest build and let me know if it fixes the issue. You will need to uninstall your existing installation first and reboot.

Sometimes you can find a solution faster if you try the forum search, have a look at the knowledge base, or check the software user manual to see if your question has already been answered.

Our forum rules are simple:

• Be polite.
  • Do not spam.
  • Write in English. If possible, check your spelling and grammar.

Author:

Subject

A brief and informative title for your message, approximately 4–8 words:

Spam prevention: please enter the following code in the input field below.